Harbor Freight Spray Gun

Started by 34ford, January 04, 2010, 07:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

34ford

Does anyone know if the 66222 gun is a replacement for the 43430 gun? Harbor Freight doesn't have the 43430 on their site anymore. I have a 43430 I used to paint my coupe and was wanting to replace it.

thanks

bc

kb426

I downloaded the manual. According to it, this is not the same gun. It uses more air by around 3 cfm. As you all know, it may be the same with a more accurate manual.  :lol:
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "34ford"Does anyone know if the 66222 gun is a replacement for the 43430 gun? Harbor Freight doesn't have the 43430 on their site anymore. I have a 43430 I used to paint my coupe and was wanting to replace it.

thanks

bc

I bought a newer one to replace the old one that I used for years.  Off hand I do not know what the number is of the gun I bought.   Is the number on the gun?   I will look in the morning when I go to the shop.  It is to cold to make another run out there tonight.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

34ford

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"

I bought a newer one to replace the old one that I used for years.  Off hand I do not know what the number is of the gun I bought.   Is the number on the gun?   I will look in the morning when I go to the shop.  It is to cold to make another run out there tonight.

John

don't know if the # is on the gun. It is the 3 on the box and the only one on the web and in the store. it was on sale for 39.99 and I had a 20% coupon so it cost me 32 total with tax. Hear what you are saying about the cold. -10 this morning at 7 and they are talking -1 for a high on thursday and up to 5" more snow tonight and tomorrow. What happened to global warming??

bc

kb426,  thanks for that information.

34ford

Went out and looked this morning and there is no number on the gun but this one has 1.4 stamped on the spray nozzle so that's an improvement.

bob

purplepickup

Quote from: "34ford"Does anyone know if the 66222 gun is a replacement for the 43430 gun?
thanks

bc
The gun is so close to the 43430 that I'd follow the same setup.  I'm sure you've seen Sumner's page on settings. http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/HVLPspraygun.html  

Settings that work the best are different than they HF recommends anyway because they have to show that the gun meets VOC emission standards.  The only way that will happen is to use their settings but I've found that using more air gives you better atomization.  Cutting back on fluid control will do the same thing but give you a smaller pattern.  Stuff you probably already know...
George

WZ JUNK

I checked the gun this morning and the last one that I bought was the 43430.  I noticed that it has the 1.4 tip also.  I will second what George said about the set up.  I think I used that gun to shoot Hooley's Henry J gasser.  It was single stage and I buffed it.  The paint came out nice using this process and I had several nice comments about the look of the car.  I wanted to see what I could do with the cheapest spray gun and the cheapest paint. There is a picture of it in this post  http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8747&highlight=henry

I have had several of these cheaper guns and I have had good luck with them.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

34ford

George/John,

I used the 43430 to paint my coupe. I bought 2, one for the primer and the other for the base/clear. I also set them up according to Summers page on the gun. I bought I believe a 2.0 nozzle for the high build primer that I used. The primer gun started to drip at the end of the nozzle towards the end of the process so I think the primer might have been to hard on the nozzle. The other one still seems to work OK. They just had them on sale and I had a 20% coupon so I bought the 66222 to have another backup.  

bob

brucer

i bought a Fenix hvlp gun last year at a place called pivco..  Fenix guns are an economy gun made by sharpe..  i liked mine, think i paid like $100 for it and its worth every penny of it..