Columbus GG and making gasoline

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, July 11, 2004, 05:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

Had a great time at the show...ran into Roadstar and HRLC, Sedandad & Frank (Fab32 I think)from the HAMB, Slocro and the rest pf the Cleveland area crew. Never did make it to the "meet 'n greet" - I think it kinda fizzled out. The show was really crowded but a good show. The Pro's Pick vehicles continue to go push the envelope for money spent , over-execution and poor taste... and of course some very nice cars. The new '32 highboy roadster by Trot T. was tasty to say the least I heard that it got Rod of the year. Saw a very nict '32 5 window with a 270" Red Ram Hemi that was really nice in it's simplicity - painted stock '47 Ford blue. Don't know about further awards other than that as I didn't go back to the grounds this morning. It was cool outside and the highway beckoned.

I continue to be amazed at the performance of the ZZ4 crate motor and 700R4 that I put in last year. A quick review: 3700 lb. '40 Chevy convert, 600 Holley carb, 3.55:1 gears, 27" tall rear radials. Initial trips this year saw a couple of 22 to near 23 mpg running 2 lane black top in overdrive at 50-60 mpg. The trip to Columbus saw 22.0 mpg on the first tank, basically trying to keep up at 75 mph - didn't do very well at the keeping up, just managaed to avoid getting run over. Both windoes down, cowl vent closed, rear window zipped in. The tank that delivered me to Columbus and that lasted through the fairground commute, cruising and waiting to get on the grounds turned out to be 17.6.

I left with a full tank this morning, ran with just my window down and was pretty diligent at keepin the speed right on 65/66 with about 10 miles of 55/60 in some construction zones. I stopped for gas at 275 miles into that tank and it only took 10.74 gallons to top it off. That was good for 25.7 mpg. It was getting warm by then so I drove the last 100 milesat 65/66 with the windows up and the a/c on low.  Filled up with 4.209 gallons for 23.7 mpg. I didn't think the 2 mpg loss with the a/c on was too bad for a carburated, non-computer controlled car.

All told it averaged 22.05 mpg over 807.88 miles. I'm liking that a lot.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

couper

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Had a great time at the show...ran into Roadstar and HRLC, Sedandad & Frank (Fab32 I think)from the HAMB, Slocro and the rest pf the Cleveland area crew. Never did make it to the "meet 'n greet" - I think it kinda fizzled out. The show was really crowded but a good show. The Pro's Pick vehicles continue to go push the envelope for money spent , over-execution and poor taste... and of course some very nice cars. The new '32 highboy roadster by Trot T. was tasty to say the least I heard that it got Rod of the year. Saw a very nict '32 5 window with a 270" Red Ram Hemi that was really nice in it's simplicity - painted stock '47 Ford blue. Don't know about further awards other than that as I didn't go back to the grounds this morning. It was cool outside and the highway beckoned.

I continue to be amazed at the performance of the ZZ4 crate motor and 700R4 that I put in last year. A quick review: 3700 lb. '40 Chevy convert, 600 Holley carb, 3.55:1 gears, 27" tall rear radials. Initial trips this year saw a couple of 22 to near 23 mpg running 2 lane black top in overdrive at 50-60 mpg. The trip to Columbus saw 22.0 mpg on the first tank, basically trying to keep up at 75 mph - didn't do very well at the keeping up, just managaed to avoid getting run over. Both windoes down, cowl vent closed, rear window zipped in. The tank that delivered me to Columbus and that lasted through the fairground commute, cruising and waiting to get on the grounds turned out to be 17.6.

I left with a full tank this morning, ran with just my window down and was pretty diligent at keepin the speed right on 65/66 with about 10 miles of 55/60 in some construction zones. I stopped for gas at 275 miles into that tank and it only took 10.74 gallons to top it off. That was good for 25.7 mpg. It was getting warm by then so I drove the last 100 milesat 65/66 with the windows up and the a/c on low.  Filled up with 4.209 gallons for 23.7 mpg. I didn't think the 2 mpg loss with the a/c on was too bad for a carburated, non-computer controlled car.

All told it averaged 22.05 mpg over 807.88 miles. I'm liking that a lot.

Charlie
Sounds nice Charlie, I wish my mileage was close to that.
Coupe ran like a champ though. Got there thursday noon, registered, hung around a while, washed the car. Got a room at Fairfield Inn on Morse road. Not much happening there at night. Went up to the host hotel area that evening, ate, cruised, hob-knobbed with a few rodders. Parked on the lane right after getting through the gate Friday morning. Parked in 'Ya gotta drive 'em' area saturday. Headed back to Springfield around 2pm. I must have walked 30 miles all total and was ready to go. I really enjoyed it, but will plan to go with someone next year.
I walked around the souht end of the registration building at noon both fri. and sat., never saw any signs of possible RRT folks. Sorry I missed you all. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.
I plan on going to GG's at KC, Fort Worth, and Colorado. Don't think NSRA nats is in the picture this year.
Lance

merc50

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"The new '32 highboy roadster by Trot T. was tasty to say the least I heard that it got Rod of the year. Charlie

I have yet to see good pics of this car...anyone have any?

HotRodLadyCrusr

Sorry we missed you Couper, we were right on the grassy area on the south side of the registration area on Friday.  We drove Roadstar's black '40 Ford "VooDoo Child" there so we'd be easy to spot.  Clark, So-What on the HAMB showed up in his modified.  MotorMikey in his bluish-purple with orange flamed truck and BooBoo with his '39.  Took a few nice group shots........

but things turned ugly when I brought out the cookies......

We drove around ALOT in the '40 but I never spotted you or your ride.  I'm bummed.  We were at the host hotel Friday nite as well.  Next time we'll have to do the cell phone thing and call each other to make sure we hook up.

The winner of the "Street Rod of the Year" award went to the green '32 built by a very talented 22 year old young man by the name of Levis at "Rad Rides by Troy's shop.  I have tons of photos of it I just need to place them on a photo server which I'll do in alittle bit.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Dave

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"Sorry we missed you Couper, we were right on the grassy area on the south side of the registration area on Friday.  We drove Roadstar's black '40 Ford "VooDoo Child" there so we'd be easy to spot.  Clark, So-What on the HAMB showed up in his modified.  MotorMikey in his bluish-purple with orange flamed truck and BooBoo with his '39.  Took a few nice group shots........

Oh boy a 32!!!!!!!!!!!!! come on pics pics....
Dave
We drove around ALOT in the '40 but I never spotted you or your ride.  I'm bummed.  We were at the host hotel Friday nite as well.  Next time we'll have to do the cell phone thing and call each other to make sure we hook up.

The winner of the "Street Rod of the Year" award went to the green '32 built by a very talented 22 year old young man by the name of Levis at "Rad Rides by Troy's shop.  I have tons of photos of it I just need to place them on a photo server which I'll do in alittle bit.

HotRodLadyCrusr

All the photos I took this weekend are uploading right now to a photo hosting site as to once again try to establish a photo hosting site to help Both Frank and Ryan with bandwidth costs.  It should only be a few more minutes..........  :shock:  :D
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

couper

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"Sorry we missed you Couper, we were right on the grassy area on the south side of the registration area on Friday.  We drove Roadstar's black '40 Ford "VooDoo Child" there so we'd be easy to spot.  Clark, So-What on the HAMB showed up in his modified.  MotorMikey in his bluish-purple with orange flamed truck and BooBoo with his '39.  Took a few nice group shots........

No sweat, that's the way it goes sometimes Denise. I was fixed on looking for the big Olds.
Lance

purplepickup

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Had a great time at the show...

I continue to be amazed at the performance of the ZZ4 crate motor and 700R4 that I put in last year. The trip to Columbus saw 22.0 mpg on the first tank, basically trying to keep up at 75 mph.  All told it averaged 22.05 mpg over 807.88 miles. I'm liking that a lot.

Charlie
Charlie, it sounds like you've got the '40 dialed in with all the upgrades you did last year.  I like it when a plan comes together 8)

I saw the pics of the louvers you put in your hood on the HAMB.  It's looking good.  

You sure ain't letting any grass grow under your * now that you're retired.   See ya soon :D

George
George