2000 Silverado windshiled washer pump help needed

Started by Beck, December 13, 2009, 12:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado truck. I have consistant windshield washer pump failures. I have replaced the pump 5 times. Each time I thought the cause was freezing. I just took the pump out again. I tested the wiper fluid by placing it in the freezer. It didn't freeze. The bottom and top of the pump are plastic. Both ends are broken. The top should not be exposed to the fluid. The reservour/pump sits directly under the battery. I have noticed rust spots in my driveway under this. The battery appears good with no leaks. I can't figure out what is attacking the washer pump. Anyone else have an idea. Winter is here so I need the washers.

Beck

I have not replaced the pump with a GM part. It has always been a discount parts house piece. I have 2 thoughts for the repair. I am going to buy a GM pump and I am going to try to cover it. For a cover I hope to use window flashing. Charlie Chops 1940 turned me on to this product a few years ago for sound deadening material. The material is adhesive backed rubber with a foil cover. The rubber is about 1/16 thick. I hope to stick the rubber on the side of the reservoir above the pump, drape it over and around the pump, and stick it all tight. The problem with this will be future service. This stuff sticks tight and lets a residue when removing. I will also have a problem going around the wiring and hose. I am not real happy with my ideas, but can't think of anything better.

enjenjo

I replaced one with a universal in line pump, no more problems.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Beck

Quote from: "enjenjo"I replaced one with a universal in line pump, no more problems.

How did you plumb it? The stock style pump plugs into a rubber grommet that is in the reservour. I would guess a small diamater metal tube inserted into the grommet would work. That small tube could insert into a rubber tube going to the universal pump. The factory wiring connector would need to be cut off and then the universal pump wired. You may have the answer. Since it's Sunday I can't get the GM pump today. I could go to the local part store and buy the universal unit and be finished with this project today instead of working on it again tomorrow night. I think I'll try it.

enjenjo

Quote from: "Beck"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I replaced one with a universal in line pump, no more problems.

How did you plumb it? The stock style pump plugs into a rubber grommet that is in the reservour. I would guess a small diamater metal tube inserted into the grommet would work. That small tube could insert into a rubber tube going to the universal pump. The factory wiring connector would need to be cut off and then the universal pump wired. You may have the answer. Since it's Sunday I can't get the GM pump today. I could go to the local part store and buy the universal unit and be finished with this project today instead of working on it again tomorrow night. I think I'll try it.

That's just what I did. And if it goes bad again, the pump is out in the open where it can be changed.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Fat Cat

I just did one on a motorhome of the same era on a GM chassis. On that one I just plumbed the line that went into the original pump into the new pump and connected the inlet of the new pump to the outlet of the old pump. I used the old pump as a connector. It pulls the washer solvent through the old pump just fine.

Beck

Fat Cat, My old pump was completely shot. The pump part of the housing was all cracked. The reservoir drained out the pump housing.
I decided to pull the battery to check things out better. The battery tray was rusting. The paint was gone. I wire wheeled it and put some SEM Rust Guard paint on it. When I took the cover off the battery it was wet. I saw a trail of moisture from one of the cap blocks too. It has to be the battery that is causing all my problems. I got back under the front of the truck and examined things a little closer there also. The horn is just above the washer pump. It is rusted badly also.  I went to the local part store for a universal pump. They said they didn't have one??? They did offer to warrantee my old pump. Since I'm cheap to took them up on the offer. I have installed the factory replacement. I have NOT reinstalled the battery. It starts the truck fine. It didn't look to be low on acid. It is 5 yr old. I am going to put a Optima Red Top in the truck. I will know if a few months if that was the pump problem. Now I need to see if I can find a sale on the  battery. I have never owned one of these. Since the battery is out I have not checked the washer pump operation yet.

Thanks for your suggestions.

papastoyss

Quote from: "Beck"Fat Cat, My old pump was completely shot. The pump part of the housing was all cracked. The reservoir drained out the pump housing.
I decided to pull the battery to check things out better. The battery tray was rusting. The paint was gone. I wire wheeled it and put some SEM Rust Guard paint on it. When I took the cover off the battery it was wet. I saw a trail of moisture from one of the cap blocks too. It has to be the battery that is causing all my problems. I got back under the front of the truck and examined things a little closer there also. The horn is just above the washer pump. It is rusted badly also.  I went to the local part store for a universal pump. They said they didn't have one??? They did offer to warrantee my old pump. Since I'm cheap to took them up on the offer. I have installed the factory replacement. I have NOT reinstalled the battery. It starts the truck fine. It didn't look to be low on acid. It is 5 yr old. I am going to put a Optima Red Top in the truck. I will know if a few months if that was the pump problem. Now I need to see if I can find a sale on the  battery. I have never owned one of these. Since the battery is out I have not checked the washer pump operation yet.

Most of the people I've heard an opinion from were not satisified with the red top battery.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "papastoyss"
Quote from: "Beck"I am going to put a Optima Red Top in the truck. I will know if a few months if that was the pump problem. Now I need to see if I can find a sale on the  battery. I have never owned one of these. Since the battery is out I have not checked the washer pump operation yet.

Most of the people I've heard an opinion from were not satisified with the red top battery.

I have 4 red top Optima batterys in use. With  no problems.  2 of them are 7 yrs old
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Carnut

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "papastoyss"
Quote from: "Beck"I am going to put a Optima Red Top in the truck. I will know if a few months if that was the pump problem. Now I need to see if I can find a sale on the  battery. I have never owned one of these. Since the battery is out I have not checked the washer pump operation yet.

I have 4 red top Optima batterys in use. With  no problems.  2 of them are 7 yrs old

Yeah, I was gonna chime in that I have 2 redtops, one my 40 Ford and one in my 61 Chrysler. Put them both in in 2005.

Put one of those Odyssey batteries in my 67 Charger just to see how well it would work, so far so good for a god awful expensive battery.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Carnut"

Yeah, I was gonna chime in that I have 2 redtops, one my 40 Ford and one in my 61 Chrysler. Put them both in in 2005.

Put one of those Odyssey batteries in my 67 Charger just to see how well it would work, so far so good for a god awful expensive battery.

The Odyssey battery is a cute little thing.. til you try to pick it up.  dang heavy piece
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Beck

Well I got that project finished. It is all working again. Hopefully I have diagnosed the problem correctly and won't ever have to revisit it.