The Wrangler form HELL

Started by 348tripower, December 06, 2009, 03:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

To update the Jeep project.  I swaped a 92 engine out for a 85 that was supposed to be a great runner! The swap went fine changing over the flywheel so it would run on the computer, changing the fuel injection bits and pieces and changing the water pump so it would work with the existing heater line.
Now the excitement begins.
First off we start it and it has a miss. And the serpentine belt is two rows off of the lower pulley. Forget the pulley, go for the miss. I changed out two injectors on number two and no change. So, I go for the compression  tester. 75 lbs in number two.  :shock:
During this time I asked about the difference in cranks in a 92 and 85. Nobody knows. I even joined a Jeep board and they don't know either! :lol:
Back to the 75 lb cylinder. I pulled the rocker cover and found that the exhaust on number two was not closed.  Two beers later   :D  and I was well into pulling the head. Should put these together with Velcro!
Now with the head off I look at the block This looks really good. Hardly any ridge and really clean. I roll the head over and look at the valves. What in the H#ll is with number two exhaust? It's buried in the head about 1/6 inch?   :-o  No wonder it has no compression.
So, I put the 1993 head on. The 93 engine had 3000 miles on the rebuild when the wrist pin in number one came in contact with the wall and we all know what happens then!  :cry:
Friday night we fire it up and it hits on all four.  :D  Add more beer. :)
Saturday was spent shimming the valves and adding the plow mounts.    
 Remember that lower pulley. I pushed it on another 3/16 of an inch  went to the plant and made a spacer. Fixed that problem :lol: I'll share this with the Jeep guys later. :wink:
Today I took the valve out of the head. It is just machined too deep . This must have been border line for a long time and after setting 2 1/2 years it decided to become a problem. The guy I got it from assured me that it was a good runner and I do trust him.  :lol:
So that is the story for this weekend.
Don
Don Colliau

river1

ain't it fun tho :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

purplepickup

Thanks for the good story.  It's good to know that other people have days like that too. :wink:
George

Danimal

My days like that usually end up finding out the 85 head doesn't fit the 92 motor! :evil: