Speedway brake kit

Started by reborn55, December 02, 2009, 06:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reborn55

Just thought I would ask a simple question about brackets on Speedway big brake kit.  Getting ready to install  kit on Mustang2 on the ragtop.  the bracket are not labeled left or right.  They say to make sure the caliper is parallel.  Before I start the job, I thought I might see if anyone has put the kit on and remembers which way the offset of the upper mounting hole goes. toward the inside of the car or outward. Just trying to make it easier Thanks

enjenjo

I just went out and looked, the boss is offset toward the center of the car.

This is with GM rotors.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

reborn55

Was mocking up the caliper tonight and noticed that the only way the caliper mounting bolt will work is if I take the little sleeve/bushing out of the caliper mounting bosses.  The mounting bolt has a big enough boss on the end of it to go through the hole and seemingly hold the caliper in place.  Does this sound about right.  I have gone through the instructions but found nothing about removing the bushings.  Thanks again

enjenjo

Quote from: "reborn55"Was mocking up the caliper tonight and noticed that the only way the caliper mounting bolt will work is if I take the little sleeve/bushing out of the caliper mounting bosses.  The mounting bolt has a big enough boss on the end of it to go through the hole and seemingly hold the caliper in place.  Does this sound about right.  I have gone through the instructions but found nothing about removing the bushings.  Thanks again

No that is not right. The sleeve support the  caliper, the bolt just holds it in place.

As I recall, I had a similar problem, which ended up being the wrong rotors. I think I had 73 to 76 rotors, and needed 69 to 72. there was a small difference in diameter that held the caliper from going all the way on. That is if you have the same kit I used.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

reborn55

What it looks like if they have made the shoulder area longer on the mounting bolt as it is the same diameter as the sleeve--you agree..  In looking at NAPA caliper bolts there is a difference in the shoulder length--so I think I will get 4 bolts from NAPA and use the sleeve--would probably work OK but.  haven't got the rotors on just yet--was just checking the fit of some of the paieces.  

kit number