GM steering pumps & MII racks, Controlling PSI, methods!

Started by rooster, July 07, 2004, 09:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Im trying to put the feel of the road back in the steering, the GM pumps have more psi than MII rack were made for causing overkill power steering.

Enjenjo told me about a regulator Heidt's sells http://www.heidts.com/heip27.htm about 80 bucks!
I allready have RB'S relife valve (not enough) about 30 bucks!

I have heard about the use of shims to do this , does anyone have any information about this method?

sedanman

I bought the shims I used from Borgeson, They are a part of Mullins.

Hope this helps  :D

Sedanman

rooster

Quote from: "sedanman"I bought the shims I used from Borgeson, They are a part of Mullins.

Hope this helps  :D

Sedanman

I went to the Borgeson & Mullins web site and found nothing. Can you tell me more about how it worked for you, and how did you get it? I sent you a e-mail.

sedanman

Rooster, I will try to find the box it came in this weekend, it has been about two years since I bought and installed mine. They look like washers. When you remove the pump valve, its the big nut on the back of the power steering pump housing where the high preasure line attaches. When you remove it you will see that it has a bolt in the end that can be removed and the washer looking shim is under it. The kit will allow you to add shims (washers) to this valve to to reduce the preasure that the pump puts out. The more shims you add the less preasure the pump puts out. I thought that I called Borgeson and ordered it from them. When you get my age you forget things. I will let you know later where I got it, if I can find the box it came in. I hope this explains how the shims work. :)

SedanMan (Vic)

rooster

Thanks for the info! What can I expect the shims to set me back? I see Borgesen (
http://www.borgeson.com/products.htm )offers new Siginaw pumps already set up for
MII racks( lower PSI). I would like to know how well they worked if anyone has used
them, or the shims. I can't get the download catalog link to work at their web site, might
have to give them a call next week. I hope these shims (washers) provide a fix for my
overkill power steering!

Kevin in Seattle (Coupla48's) you have mail! :D