HELP NEEDED WITH A 350 vORTEC ENGINE

Started by 348tripower, October 08, 2009, 05:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

I have this 1999 Tahoe back for head replacement. They got it hot and broke both heads. I have it running, but poorly.
 I can push the distributor all the way ccw and it runs. Pulling it clockwise it won't run.
I also have a code telling me the cam and crank are not in proper relationship.
I am thinking that I am one or two teeth off with the distributor and the computer can't time to this.
Am I thinking right?
Thanks,
Don
Don Colliau

wayne petty

the distributer on that motor is plastic......  it contains the cam shaft position sensor with a shutter wheel ...   it has to be positioned with the crank at TDC compression number one..

1996-98 MODELS
The distributor on the 4.3L engine is non-adjustable and any attempt to adjust the distributor could cause cross firing. This procedure applies to the 5.0L, 5.7L and 7.4L engines.

The ignition timing is preset and cannot be adjusted. If the distributor position is moved crossfiring may be induced. To check distributor position the following:

An OBD ll compliant scan tool is required for this procedure

With the ignition OFF install scan tool to the Data Link Connector (DLC).

Start the engine and bring the vehicle to operating temperature.

Monitor cam retard on the scan tool.

If cam retard is between -2° and +2° the distributor is properly adjusted.

If cam retard is not between -2° and +2° the distributor must adjusted.

With the engine OFF loosen the distributor hold-down bolt.

Start the engine and check the cam retard reading. Rotate the distributor counterclockwise to compensate for a negative reading and clockwise to compensate for a positive reading.

Momentarily raise the engine speed to over 1000 RPM and check the cam retard reading.

If the proper reading is not achieved repeat Steps 7 and 8.

When the proper reading has been achieved tighten the distributor hold-down bolt and disconnect the scan tool.

348tripower

Wayne,
I have the 5.7 engine.
Thanks,
Don

OOPs, I just read the whole thing.
Don Colliau

wayne petty

i am still looking... for more... as there should be a way to do it with the engine off...

set the timing mark to #1 tdc...  and see if any marks or notches line up under the rotor.(with the rotor off so you can see the cam sensor and shutter wheel) .. with the rotor pointing at number one wire...

you may have to crank the motor one turn after you get the cap off..

if nothing lines up at 0 tdc...   try 15..btdc...

this is if you don't have a scan tool that will show you the offset..

i bet oiler will know...

papastoyss

Quote from: "348tripower"Wayne,
I have the 5.7 engine.
Thanks,
Don

OOPs, I just read the whole thing.
It's also possible the timing chain could be worn out badly.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!