Electric cooling fan temp sensor location

Started by taxpyer, December 27, 2009, 11:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxpyer

I have a 1947 CJ2A and I have installed a 2300cc Ford engine in it. :D  Beacuse of space issues I had to put in an electric fan. 8)  I have installed the fan censor in the heater hose circuit which has been looped. :?  There is only one water jacket port which is used for the temp. guage. I have read in other postings that the censor could go into the bottom tank of the rad. Do you fellas think this location will work or should I install a fitting into the bottom tank?
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

enjenjo

Is the fan sensor adjustable, or a fixed temperature?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

i would like to know.. what the switch came out of .. and what temp the thermostat is???

the temps have to match for it to work properly..

you also might think about moving the fan switch harness up to the clips on the side of the valve cover... that is a really really hot area you have installed low temp wiring..    or run it up and over ... and down the intake side of the valve cover..

one more thing.. what kind of radiator????   stock jeep with the huge tanks on the top???  or an after market version with cross flow??? aluminum??

why.. the large tanks.. don't like the higher pressure that the pinto motors do... larger tanks.. more pressure pushing on the tanks from the inside..

i did not notice.. what kind of fuel system you are running..  holley 5200,   carter one barrel off an 83 or 84???

you might see if anybody has a walker exhaust  44548 head pipe of a 74 to 76 mustang II without the converter... might fit..  unless the converter is empty..

just curious..

did you see the jeepster post a while back.. about putting chevy 4x4 disc brakes on jeep front ends.????  bolt on...  with a little grinding to the caliper..????

taxpyer

The Fan censor is a fixed system put out by Ron Francis. :)  It is 176-on, 161-off and engine has a 160F  thermostat. The Radiator is the three core stock with the big tank which is supposed to be adequate for the ford conversion. :?  The carburetor is a stock, early pre-pollution 2V carb that was used on these motors. :roll:
Yes, I saw the item on converting to disks for these old 4x4's.
         Please I would appreciate any and all comments about this project. It's a frame off restoration/up grade and so I want it to be real reliable. Information about upgrading these older jeeps is becoming hard to get. I have had them for years but always just ran them stock. I have this one and a '57 pick up. 8)

enjenjo

All I can say is try it. I suspect that it will see a lower temperature there, than it would directly into the block.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

taxpyer

I realise it's hard to see but the line to the thermostat housing is actually on the block side of the thermostat. Would this give me the same reading as a censor in the bottom tank would? :roll: I would give anything to have another access port to the water jacket,,,, but hey :?

UGLY OLDS

Have you looked all around the head casting for a boss or area that could be drilled & tapped to receive another sensor?  Some "on-off" sensors only require an 1/8"NPT hole....Perhaps the temp guage sensor cound be moved??

Jus' noodlin'........... :idea:

Bob........... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

taxpyer

I have looked all over the head and couldn't see any where that you could drill. :(  Seems to be very limited for access to the water jacket. I'll go with what I've got and give it a try. :)  Might take the rad and have a threaded port put in the bottom tank just incase this doesn't work or worse yet I find myself wishing I had a heater in the jeep. :roll:  
         Thanks all for your input!!! :D

wayne petty

there is no reason it won't work....   it will

if you want to hook up a heater core...     rotate the tee 90 degrees counter clock wise...

hose to heater..   tee with fan switch in side  ...  hose from cylinder head..

return line from the heater core to the lower connection on the side of the water pump....

the higher pressure is on the upper fitting..     if you want to use a heater control valve.. be sure to use one that is a bypass type... so the flow is never blocked...

i noticed last week... that one of the cars i was looking at had a tee junction like you have.. for both the ECT and gauge sender.. i have forgotten where i saw it..

taxpyer

Thanks Wayne,,,,,,,,,,, This has to be one of the best groups to help car people get information,,,,,,, Thanks so much.  8)
         You know you go along and what you're trying seems like it should work but it's just so nice to knock it off some other people and see if there is anything you over looked. :roll: