weber or scheiffer flywheels

Started by tomslik, September 25, 2009, 10:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

is either company still in biz?
any contact info?

got a line on a 1 of each (for amc) and wondering if i can send it in and get it sfi certified...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

GPster

Only one comment. Years ago I had a Hemi with a Scheifer flywheel on it. It was an aluminum flywheel with a steel starter ring gear on it. Occasionally the starter would drive the ring gear off of the aluminum. The ring gear was evidently just heated and allowed to shrink on the perimiter of the flywheel as there didn't appear to be any rivet or similar fastening for the two. It wasn't like a case of mis-alignment because it was a factory flywheel and transmission and even though it starter had a 6v armature and fields it used the bendix and mounting off the correct starter for the bellhousing. If it's a used flywheel you might check that point. Wouldn't there be a period that Jeep parts would have be AMC compatable. Thought of you the other day. On the Ol' Skool site there was a guy tring to sell a Matadore with a 4 speed in it. there was a parts car with a 4 speed also. It was stock because he was talking about the closed driveshaft arrangment. I visit there and I'm GPster there too. GPster

wayne petty

after having a flywheel tested to pass SFI specs...  i really don't think i would want it near my feet...

read up...

http://www.atfspeed.com/atf-news-blog/93-2jz-1jz-transmission-adapter-billet-aluminum-sfi-approved.html

12 to 14K RPMS  for several hours...

this seems to be the lab that does some of the testing..

http://www.ocmtestlabs.com/default.asp?mode=subcategories&subid=36

tomslik

Quote from: "GPster"Only one comment. Years ago I had a Hemi with a Scheifer flywheel on it. It was an aluminum flywheel with a steel starter ring gear on it. Occasionally the starter would drive the ring gear off of the aluminum. The ring gear was evidently just heated and allowed to shrink on the perimiter of the flywheel as there didn't appear to be any rivet or similar fastening for the two. It wasn't like a case of mis-alignment because it was a factory flywheel and transmission and even though it starter had a 6v armature and fields it used the bendix and mounting off the correct starter for the bellhousing. If it's a used flywheel you might check that point. Wouldn't there be a period that Jeep parts would have be AMC compatable. Thought of you the other day. On the Ol' Skool site there was a guy tring to sell a Matadore with a 4 speed in it. there was a parts car with a 4 speed also. It was stock because he was talking about the closed driveshaft arrangment. I visit there and I'm GPster there too. GPster

heated and installed and left to cool is how you do iron and steel flywheels but, yeah, i've seen aluminum ones have the ringgear get loose.
i have a plan for that.
matador with a 4speed and a  torque tube?
had to be earlier than a 74.....
i don't go to old skool at all, if they kan't speel sckool,well....
actually, i don't spend much time on the HAMB even.
classracer.com and a couple of amc sites are about it....and here, of course.

tomslik

Quote from: "wayne petty"after having a flywheel tested to pass SFI specs...  i really don't think i would want it near my feet...

read up...

http://www.atfspeed.com/atf-news-blog/93-2jz-1jz-transmission-adapter-billet-aluminum-sfi-approved.html

12 to 14K RPMS  for several hours...

this seems to be the lab that does some of the testing..

http://www.ocmtestlabs.com/default.asp?mode=subcategories&subid=36

well, as far as sfi recerts.................... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: ....

oh yeah, 2 yr seat belts :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
but i DO see that somebody is making 4 yr belts now....,ore money, of course...

obviously i have a few "issues" with SOME (not all) stuff that needs recerts,
scattershields come to mind...

Crosley.In.AZ

re-certs were brought about to keep  the safety folks selling product on a regular basis.  Specially the static hard parts that must be re-cert every 2-4 yrs... or mayb it is 5 on static stuff like flywheel sheild?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

recert is usually a process where the manufacturer ensures that the product is still in original condition with no modifications. a scattershield will fail if you mark up the bolt faces by not using flat washers under the bolts. belts are recerted by stress testing them and then rewebbing them.

tomslik

Quote from: "chimp koose"recert is usually a process where the manufacturer ensures that the product is still in original condition with no modifications. a scattershield will fail if you mark up the bolt faces by not using flat washers under the bolts.

maybe (but you'd have to prove it to me cuz this is the 1st time i've heard that)on a lakewood or mcleod but i'll bet it won't happen with the quicktime i've got
belts are recerted by stress testing them and then rewebbing them.

and yet you can use an oem belt until the car rots away from the belt.....

i dunno, anybody want to discuss nhra's reasoning on stuff?

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"re-certs were brought about to keep  the safety folks selling product on a regular basis.  Specially the static hard parts that must be re-cert every 2-4 yrs... or mayb it is 5 on static stuff like flywheel sheild?

some ar 1 or 2 but looks like i'm good for 5

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"

and yet you can use an oem belt until the car rots away from the belt.....

i dunno, anybody want to discuss nhra's reasoning on stuff?

i agree ....in my Falcon   I use OEM belts of GM manufacture with the date tag on them of 1968.   With my helmet cert at Snell 2000 I am good to 11.50 for tech.

I'd have to push the Falcon over a very tall cliff for it to turn an 11.50 in the 1/4 mile.

NHRA reasoning is safety.  I think it also involves money

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)