'40 Ford pickup battery location

Started by Topsterguy, September 24, 2009, 11:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

Okay, I got my PU in pieces and have it mostly together now and bought a new battery tray....but have no idea where it goes! I thought it went on the firewall but can't figure it out at all according to the brackets on the tray and looking at the firewall! Anybody know or got a pic !?  Thanks!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

wayne petty

i always thought they were under the passenger side floor.. or under the seat with a removable cover inside.. ... i could be and am usually wrong..

Topsterguy

LOL.....reminds me of the sign hanging in my shop ( that my wife gave me)

"If a man speaks in the forest and there's no woman around......is he still wrong?"

Yeah, I thought naybe under there too but the brackets on the tray are weird so I can't picture where it'd go.  :?
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

GPster

Is the battery tray a reproduction of one for a truck or maybe for a car. I've remembered people saying that even though the vehicles appear the same they are totall different. I guess putting car sheetmetal on a truck involves changing the firewall and cowl to car pieces on the truck. Even though you see it done it's not an easy process. Maybe a vendor thought because they look the same they are and he sold you a battery tray for a car. You cab is not mounted on a car frame is it. They were supposed to be the same but maybe the holes are drilled in different places depending on what the intended body was. GPster

Topsterguy

Great article Wayne, thanks a bunch! Yeah, I know, we're all wrong.....doesn't matter what it's about!

GPster, the frame is an aftermarket one but supposedly they're the same between car and PU except for a couple of brackets near the back for cars. , I'm using PU fenders, firewall etc etc ( long story on that!). I was at Bob Drakes and specifically asked for a tray for the PU and this is what they gave me. Gee, never heard of an aftermarket supplier giving you the wrong piece!!??  Uh huh !

papastoyss

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Great article Wayne, thanks a bunch! Yeah, I know, we're all wrong.....doesn't matter what it's about!

GPster, the frame is an aftermarket one but supposedly they're the same between car and PU except for a couple of brackets near the back for cars. , I'm using PU fenders, firewall etc etc ( long story on that!). I was at Bob Drakes and specifically asked for a tray for the PU and this is what they gave me. Gee, never heard of an aftermarket supplier giving you the wrong piece!!??  Uh huh !
Mr. 40s Fatstuff sells a battery tray /mount that is similar to the one in the article Wayne posted. It mounts on the RF frame rail behind the wheel. Close to the starter & out of the way. Looks like it might be a bi&*$%^ to change the battery though.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

wayne petty

is this the battery tray you got???

http://store.bobdrake.com/19pas19pudel.html

or this one

http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/dennis-carpenter-ford-and-cushman-restorations-3138/1932-48-ford-cars-parts-15621/page-21.html

sure does not really look like what was in the article..

i wonder if one could make an ABS plastic inner fender battery cover.. so rocks and debris does not land on top of the battery...

Topsterguy

HeyWayne!  Yup that's the one I got, the first one..and I guess the Carpenter one is the same.

Carnut

Battery mounts to passenger side frame rail near firewall. Original was in toward engine because head of flathead left room for the battery in the engine compartment.

Pickup

Passenger Car

Carnut

Quote from: "Carnut"Battery mounts to passenger side frame rail near firewall. Original was in toward engine because head of flathead left room for the battery in the engine compartment.

Pickup

Passenger Car

Heh, heh, I have run the battery in my 40 in the trunk for 7 or 8 yrs, then put the battery back in front for 7 or 8 yrs and then decided the heat next to a 350 chevy V8 wasn't good for a battery so I moved it back to the trunk even though I didn't like having the long battery cables and having the battery in a somewhat inaccessible location.

Topsterguy

Well leapin lizards..if that don't beat all!  I went out and tried it and lo and behold there's a bolt hole in the side of the frame that matches up to it so it sits right, just needs a hole in the frame top to match the other bracket. A little tight with the 350 and ram horns, but if a guy could find a really small powerful battery and build a heat shield it might work !  Thanks a lot, I'll see what I can do!  Larry

Carnut

Yep, I ran my battery up front for awhile and even tried a heat shield with a cool running 265 and for awhile with a 350, but it still bothered me and I wasn't real sure if it affected battery life.

Oh yeah, also when I moved the battery to the trunk it allowed me room to install the A/C system and run the hoses a bit more easily.

Topsterguy

Yeah, I figure with a heat shield it should be okay.....problem is I don't really have anywhere else to put it. Under the seat/ floor, exhaust etc in the way. Next thing is to find a small battery with good cranking amps, probably a red top or something like that ( looks like I'd have to trim the battery tray a bit on the front inside corner by the ram horn).