Positive Ground System

Started by tonto1, September 25, 2009, 01:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1

I'm putting a Harrison 6 volt in our '49 Dodge that has the original 6volt positive ground system.
Question is, which lead goes to power and which lead goes to ground?
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?

wayne petty

i take it that you are talking about a car heater

does it look anything like this

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0900c152/80/07/b2/48/large/0900c1528007b248.gif

are the switches built in...    is anything grounded through the frame of the unit????

the trick is you want the blower motor to turn the correct direction...
a little more info... please.. perhaps a picture

38HAULR

If the unit is set up with single wire for -ve earth vehicle.
Another option is to switch the vehicle to -ve earth. Assuming you still have the generator,this can be simply " reflashed" or re polarised and it will operate how you want it to.......Frank.

tonto1

Hi;
Actually it's am vintage 1940's or early 50's car heater.
Just a 6 volt fan motor and I'll use a Rheostat switch to control the fan speed.
I'v got it all apart painting it now or I would post a picture.

I'll post a picture as it was when I bought it on ebay, and you'll probably see why I'm painting it.

FRANKIE47

I hate to make it simple but, the motor doesn't really care about polarity...hook up the wires and if you get air coming out, bravo! If you just made a vaccum, it's backwards. That is what I did with my D24.

tonto1

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear.

tonto1

Are you sure that's right about rotation.
I took the motor apart because it wouldn't run, and one brush spring needed to be streched to put enough pressure on the brush to make good contact.
But it runs backwards to what it should, no matter which I hook it up.
Either way it runs ccw when looking face on to the shaft.
Even tho it's not a whole lot of money, this is probably the worst thing I've bought on eBay and the guy tells me how honest he is.
The motor wouldn't run, the fan hit the case so hard the motor wouldn't have turned it anyhow, and the motor turns the wrong way

enjenjo

New motors are cheap. NAPA has a page in the catalog that lists heater motors by size, rotation, and mounting. Should be easy to find a replacement.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.