Carb? problems

Started by phat46, September 06, 2009, 04:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

I have an Edelbrock carb on my 429 Ford engine in my '46 truck. I started it yesterday and while it was on the choke it ran fine, as soon as it came off choke it wouldn't idle.  It will die as soon as I restart it unless you're pumping the gas. It was last run about two weeks ago and was o.k. then. I have checked the fuel filter and it's clear, I fooled with the Idle mixture screws to the pint I had them five turns out with no change. I guess something in the idle curcuit is amiss, time for a rebuild? any other things to check first?

chimp koose

massive vacuum leak?Did a vacuum line /plug fall off?

phat46

Quote from: "chimp koose"massive vacuum leak?Did a vacuum line /plug fall off?

That's actually the first thing I checked for, everythings o.k. as far as vac lines and i checked the holddown bolts, they are tight.  I think I'm gonna get a rebuild kit and go through the carb, even when it was running O.K. the idle mixture screws didn't seem to make any difference as far as tuning the carb.

C9

Bad or stuck PCV valve?
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

phat46

Quote from: "C9"Bad or stuck PCV valve?

Didn't think of that, I'll take a look.....

wayne petty

is the intake stock??  does it have an adaptor plate under the carb???  is the adaptor to manifold gasket gone bad????

did you install power brakes???    did the booster blow out?  that will cause enough vacuum leak to drive you nuts

is there anything holding the secondary butterflys part way open??  just enough to kill the idle.. but not enough to pull fuel over????

phat46

Quote from: "wayne petty"is the intake stock??  does it have an adaptor plate under the carb???  is the adaptor to manifold gasket gone bad????

did you install power brakes???    did the booster blow out?  that will cause enough vacuum leak to drive you nuts

is there anything holding the secondary butterflys part way open??  just enough to kill the idle.. but not enough to pull fuel over????

It has an aftermarket aluminum mainifold, I can't keep it running to check for vacuum leaks under carb. Nothing obvious by looking at it.

No power brakes

I'll have to check the secondary butterflies...Thanks

enjenjo

Quoteis there anything holding the secondary butterflys part way open?? just enough to kill the idle.. but not enough to pull fuel over????

Common on Edelbroc carbs. If they set a lot, the secondary throttle sticks just barely open.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

PCV valve is free, secondaries are closed tight....

Carnut

When I've had similar problems with my AFB's and Edlebrocks it's been the bowls drying up and gum being left in jets and circuit passages.

39deluxe

Quote from: "Carnut"When I've had similar problems with my AFB's and Edelbrocks it's been the bowls drying up and gum being left in jets and circuit passages.

That would be my guess too since you cant find any vacuum leak or hanging butterflys. Always use fuel stabilizer when you are going to let one set for a period of time and be sure to run it long enough to get it clear through the carb before shutting it off.

Tom

phat46

Update:  I took the carb apart and cleaned it, although it wasn't really dirty like some Iv'e seen, there was no gunk or residue in there. That seems to have made all the difference, I had to turn the idle screw out  about one and ahalf turns to slow it down and i could go another half turn I think. I lost the off idle stumble it had and it idles very nicely now.  I took it out for a test dirve and when i came back to the house I was grinning and telling my wife how good it runs now. She said she could tell....I gotta do my burnouts farther from home I guess... :oops:

Mikej

Quote from: "phat46"Update:  I took the carb apart and cleaned it, although it wasn't really dirty like some Iv'e seen, there was no gunk or residue in there. That seems to have made all the difference, I had to turn the idle screw out  about one and ahalf turns to slow it down and i could go another half turn I think. I lost the off idle stumble it had and it idles very nicely now.  I took it out for a test dirve and when i came back to the house I was grinning and telling my wife how good it runs now. She said she could tell....I gotta do my burnouts farther from home I guess... :oops:

That's the way I test my work to. My wife enjoys a good burnout...............no...really.... 8)   Its also the way I test the tires for wear. When they're new I can't barely spin them but I keep testing :wink:  them until they smoke really good.