Oil filter prison - remote mounting & cooling?

Started by 58Apache, July 05, 2004, 09:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

58Apache

Gents ( and ladies ),
                             I changed my oil after the break-in on my rebuilt engine that I finally got to start recently.

Drained the oil, then went to get the filter out. With the Dynomax headers on my 396, AND the Moroso 6 qt chrome oil pan..I found I had created an "oil filter prison" with no way to get the oil filter out!
I had to drop the passenger side header in order to change the filter.

Obviously this is NOT going to be the long term solution! So looking into a remote mounting of the oil filter. It was a pain to get on and off with the headers anyway. This will make things much easier. Any tips?

Also, since I am going to be routing oil out through lines anyway, what's the ups and downs of an oil cooler?  I am thinking with a remote filter there will be some additional cooling anyway?

Steve

Mac

I believe the conventional wisdom holds that you only need to cool oil in extreme situations and that you can actually have oil that's too cool. I'd say mount it where it's handy but mind how the lines go past the header.

Mac
Who\'s yer Data?

Leon

There are thermostats that allow remote mounting of the filter and a control over the oil going to the cooler, it just bypasses around the cooler.  That way it won't get too cool but allows for additional cooling if needed.  When you run the lines make sure they are big so you don't restrict flow.  The lines that came on my 350 for the Packrod (came out of a cop car) are about 1/2" hard lines.
I was just reading in one of the mags that oil typically runs 50 degrees hotter than the water so some additional cooling can't hurt.  If you live in a cold climate it won't be necessary but if you want to drive across the desert it will help.

flt-blk

Carefully consider how the oil will drain out, if you mount the filter on it's
side, you will dump a bunch on the floor every time you change the filter.  

On that same note, be aware what is under the filter.

good luck.
TZ
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

rooster

I do not know if they will fit your engine, but many s10,Blaser, Jimmy's, have remote filters on 4.3 v6 engines.