It's here!

Started by GPster, September 10, 2009, 03:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

I just got the mail and my father's day and birthday present arrived. The Rodder's Journal has re-printed the twelve issues of the 1941 "Throttle" magazine. The talked about it in late winter and they finally got it out of the printer. The latest issue of TRJ had some background on the magazine and it's owner/editor that is a nice piece of information to have before the arrival of this hard cover re-print. I've only looked at the pictures (not very many) but my first view looks like any Indianapolis historians would be delighted with the special Indianapolis issue. Well I'll have something to read while you're all enjoying Kzoo. GPster

enjenjo

So now that you've had a chance to look it over, what do you think? Your book report is due. :shock:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

I'm only as far as May and ready to start the INDY special issue. It doesn't seem like any car magazine but more like a west coast newsletter. Mostly club news and problem in connection with early dry lakes racing. It seems like there was a hint of the up-coming war with Muroc being taken over by the Army and the problem that the lakes racing was having with spectators being un-ruley was so bad that the other dry lakes were keeping the racers off. They (SCTA) and the Western Timing Assoc. were even talking about invitation only meets and keeping dates mum so that the rif-raf wouldn't know about them. There's no "How To"s and no feature cars or show or event coverage. There are some ads and some pictures but it mostly seems like a good reference book for someone that was going to write a book about that subject,place and time. It's not a "Coffee Table Book" because it doesn't look to interesting. GPster