Trailer question

Started by Glen, September 05, 2009, 12:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glen

A friend of mine asked me to make a trailer for him using a pickup bed box that is the same year as his truck so he has a matching trailer.

My question is what is a good distance to put the hitch/ball from the front corners of the bed?

I figured somewhere around 48"

Crosley.In.AZ

Normally you go by the length of the trailer with a split percentage to locate the axle center line.

Usually 55 - 45  or 60 -40  split.  The higher % number is for in front of the axle to provide tongue weight for proper - safe towing
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Glen

Thanks, I have seen those numbers but since the box is a truck bed, the wheel will be centered inside the wheel opening.....that will throw that rule out the window.  He isnt going to pull anything with it, its more for show.

chimp koose

If he isnt going to pull anything in it lean toward the 60-40 ratio.I have pulled truck box trailers that were empty before and without tongue weight they can start to whip around on you pretty easy.Also they tend not to have any toe in which can cause problems. At 60-40 the distance from ball to center of axle will be 1 1/2 times the distance from axle to end gate .

enjenjo

48" is a good ball park figure. you can put a tool box on the tongue for weight.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

C9

Since it's going to run empty or light most of the time I'd be inclined to make the axle-tongue distance a little longer than usual.

Short trailers can get 'whippy' as noted, but generally speaking they're a * to back up.

A tongue long enough to carry a spare laid flat would add weight up front and perhaps improve the 'whippy' bit....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Crosley.In.AZ

The same rule applies.  You must engineer the length differently is all.

Take the length from the rear of trailer to axle center line... as the 40% and then do the math for the front 60%

Slightly longer tongue length would be a good thing as mentioned.

I hope your friend   has  the proper paper work from the State of AZ.... If you use the OEM frame.

A buddy has built and sold truck bed trailers for 30 yrs for extra income.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "C9"Since it's going to run empty or light most of the time I'd be inclined to make the axle-tongue distance a little longer than usual.

Short trailers can get 'whippy' as noted, but generally speaking they're a * to back up.

A tongue long enough to carry a spare laid flat would add weight up front and perhaps improve the 'whippy' bit....

think Gene Simmons when building a trailer.
the longer the tongue, the better....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Glen

Quote from: "enjenjo"48" is a good ball park figure. you can put a tool box on the tongue for weight.

Thanks for all of your replies....He had mentioned putting a tool box in front of the box so I can factor that into my 60-40

jaybee

"Short trailers can get 'whippy' as noted, but generally speaking they're a * to back up."

That is no kidding there.  Dad always had a boat and I could back the boat trailer like a champ, even as a teen driver with limited experience.  Then I bought a home built utility trailer with a very short tongue.  That thing is really easier to just unhook and roll than it is to back.  I need to rebuild it with a longer tongue.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)