Storage of A/C components

Started by jaybee, September 07, 2009, 11:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

I just about have the heater-A/C out of the Lumina, I'm looking for probably 1 more hidden bolt.  It's a PITA because all the places where it bolts through the firewall are hidden behind a firewall pad and of course a heater core is apparently the first thing on the assembly line, then they build the rest of the car around it.  I'll certainly build a more convenient way to mount it when I install it.

Do I need to do anything special to store these A/C components other than plugging any open lines to make sure trash doesn't get in?

I'm a little unsure of how to operate this thing because it seems to be a hybrid between electronic and vacuum operation.  There's an electronic panel that controls all functions from door position to temperature.  Those switches control vacuum solenoids for everything...except an actuator for the air door which is electric.  I had a plan to run the modern heater-A/c with the original heater controls which look WAY better than the Lumina controls.  Now I don't know if there's a way to do that.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

Just plugging them to keep dirt out sholud be enough.

For the old cable controls, you can use them to operate a slide switch that will control the solenoids.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

That's what I expected about plugging the ports, but thought I'd better ask to prevent nasty surprises.

Thanks for input on the vacuum solenoids.  That's more or less what I was planning to do so it's good as far as that goes.  Any ideas on the electronic temp door?  I would love to use the originals heat levers to run this thing, I think that would be a neat detail.

enjenjo

QuoteAny ideas on the electronic temp door?

I am guessing they are using a temerature control to power the temp door. Probably run bt the body computer. Not good ideas for a stand alone operation. I don't know if they pulse the voltage to the door conrtol, or just vary the voltage.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Might be a moot point.  I have it out now and the unit is bigger than I realized.  Might need some serious modifications or not be able to fit at all.  Frustrating after all the work to get it out but you don't know until you try.