Skinners Union carb link with tech data

Started by wayne petty, August 20, 2009, 03:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

http://www.sucarb.co.uk/Technical.aspx

sorry.. this was too good to post to the throne room...

i know that only a few rodders will ever work on one of these...   but there is an absolute TON of information that is not available elseware on them scattered through the site...

what got me to this.. i was digging in my piles of carbs... and ran across one..    and AUD380...  one site with tons of numbers showed it might fit a kaiser frazer... i was wondering it that was related to a crosley...

when i googled it a different way i found the SU site..  and it fits a 69 austin america..

so enjoy the site...

i am going back and read more...

enjenjo

I had a strange situation this week with a carb.

Last thursday I rebuilt a Motorcraft 2 barrel for a 79 Ford F350. When I took it apart, the float was set really low, so when I reassembled it, I set the float at the correct height.

The owner installed it, and said it was blowing fuel out of the vent tubes, and flooding. He had fooled with it himself, and even setting the float lower didn't help. I told him to take it off and bring it back.

I tore it back down, and he had the float set super low again. He said he had to do that before to get it to run right, and then the accelerator pump wouldn't work. DUH! the fuel level was lower than the pump inlet. I reset everything, and bench tested the needle valve with air, and it held fine up to 10 psi.

So on a hunch, I went down to his shop, and put a pressure guage on the fuel line. With no carb on it, a rag over the intake, when we cranked it, it started and idled on the fuel in the  manifold! The rag restricted the air flow enough to let it run at about 600RPM.

Anyway, watching the fuel pressure guage, It was putting out 20 psi at an idle. So I ordered a fuel pressure regulator, we'll try that tomorrow. Any one have a problem like this with a fuel pump?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

i have seen that before....     with someone who installed an inline pump to overcome vapor lock problems...

other than that... it should be impossible to do with a mechanical pump... unless someone put the wrong spring in the pump...

GPster

Funny how abreviations can so commonly be used that the real name is unknow ( B.S.A. ?). I passed this post up for a day until I saw whose it was. I wonder if Charley will see it and add those sites his T's folder. GPster

enjenjo

Quote from: "wayne petty"i have seen that before....     with someone who installed an inline pump to overcome vapor lock problems...

other than that... it should be impossible to do with a mechanical pump... unless someone put the wrong spring in the pump...

You know it's impossible, I know it's impossible, but no one told the truck that. I am wondering if there is a diesel transfer pump that would fit on there by mistake.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

I knew that BSA was British Small Arms, but never gave any thought to SU.