tire clearance

Started by threefive, August 19, 2009, 09:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threefive

it's not often i post here but like to read the information passed around here. i  have run into a snag with my 59 chev p.u., it has a 74 camaro clip in it and at some point someone has taken a coil out of it, now that it's ready for the road i have clearance issues. tire rub on inner fender. i have heard of using different calipers and so on to bring the track width inboard but don't have any info on this. has anyone done this or have any info on doing this, some part numbers and shopping list would be greatly appreciate. i was hoping to drive this thing before our summer runs out. thanks in advance.

enjenjo

Is this rubbing on the inner fender, or on the inside of the outer fender? what rims are you using?

I have the same setup on my 59, and have done several others. no problems. you cannot run a reversed rim though.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

threefive

sorry for not being clear, it's the inside of the outer fender. i'm using an old set of 15 inch american racing 5 spokes with a 215-65-15 tire, can't remember the offset without pulling the tire. i could/should replace the coils to lift it up a bit but looking at it if the wheels were inboard a little bit my clearance would be answered. thanks

enjenjo

The cheap way to do this is to get some steel rims with more offset and see if that does the trick. If it works, you can find some Americans with the right offset, and go from there.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

threefive

thanks for the tip, will give it a try. gord.

C9

205/70R-15 tires in place of the 215/65-15 tire?

How wide and what is the backspace on your wheels?

I've been running into quite a few 7" x 15" slot mags with 4" backspace lateley.

The usual backspace in the 7" x 15" slot mags is 3".

I would guess that American made the five spokes the same way.

Dunno if this will help, but maybe.

A pic of the Camaro disc brake setup on my 31 on 32 frame roadster.

It has a rotor from one year series and the caliper from another.

More than likely part of the adaptation process to the Ford solid axle, but it may lend a clue as to using brake/rotor components to bring your wheel inward.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

threefive

so my wheels are 6 x 15 with a 1 inch positive offset. my buddy at the parts store did some checking about rotors and is confused whether the metric rotors means 80's type cars or  the studs are metric, what i have heard done and maybe trying to achieve here is finding a gm hub and rotor that if put on a flat surface is not as tall as the stock 74 camaro which would then bring the tires inboard and give me a little more clearance. i like the look of your brake setup and will keep it in mind for my 35 ford when i get to do it. thanks for the tire tip will give that a shot too.

Topsterguy

Hmmmmmmm, I think you should put the pickup on hold.............AND GET ON WITH THE REAL HOT ROD.....THE 35 !!!!!!  :-)
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

threefive

Mikej

Not sure what 1" pos. would be. You should measure from the back side of the rim to the where it mounts against the rotor or drum.