The junk man can have what's left

Started by jaybee, September 15, 2009, 03:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

My Lumina is finally ready for the junk man to take away.  I wanted the tires to put on my project as rollers, unfortunately the bolt pattern is just enough different on the late model wheels to not transfer.  Other than that I got about everything I wanted.

Special note on the steering column.  It isn't the most aesthetically pleasing thing GM ever made but with the right wheel and stalks should look right at home with my dashboard shapes and style of project.  Building a hangar for it will be a little more involved than a simple column drop but I'm really impressed with the hardware.  The stubby column hooks to the steering box with a rag joint, a pair of u joints, and a telescoping intermediate shaft.  All of this stuff is in like new condition thanks to a a boot that goes in two overlapping pieces from the steering rack through the firewall to the end of the column.  Thanks for your input on this Frank, it should work a treat.

Also on the pile are a small box of switches and relays, radiator, A/C condenser, accumulator, some of the lines, (never know just what you might use) insulating mounts for top and bottom of condenser and radiator, and a couple of electric fans, washer bottle and pump, and horns.

The back seat bottom is just the same width as a 1957 Chevy upper at the point where they meet, so it's in the pile.

I pulled the Heater-A/C assembly out from under the dash but may have wasted my time on that.  This took as much time as everything else put together and unfortunately it's too big to fit in the space I have.  Maybe the parts can be rearranged a little to make it work, I guess you don't know until you try.

After all this the junk man will still come to tow it away and leave $100 behind when he leaves.  It's been work well worth doing.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

I have stripped three this year, about to do another.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have stripped three this year, about to do another.

They built these things by the gazillions and they're dirt cheap.  It's just too bad there aren't more parts to them that are good looking or otherwise easily adaptable to a rod.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)