Speedweek 2009

Started by WZ JUNK, July 23, 2009, 05:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "enjenjo"Glad to hear you are home OK. Was there a problem with the race car?

The car is fine.  We made the one good pass just about .6 MPH off of our record.  We added some more boost and some more fuel but we could not get it to go any faster.  Maybe the motor is getting a little weak.  It has had several hard 5 mile drag races since anything has been done to it.

Hooley made several passes in excess of 240 MPH at Bonneville this last week.  It was a good run.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Charlie Chops 1940

Wow, glad you guys and no-one else was hurt. New wheel and new tire? My left rear flat tire fixed is still going strong.

Phil and I are still on the road. We left Williston, ND this morning on U.S. 2 and have stopped in Ironwood, MI (707 rainy miles) for the night. Lucked out in Wisconsin. I was gaining on a car in a 60 zone at about 70. As I got closer I suspected it was a cruiser. He slowed,  I slowed, he pulled off, I passed at about 50, he came out and followed for a couple miles at 55. He slowed and turned left at the county line. He did what he wanted, he slowed me down...no foul, no harm.

585 miles to go tomorrow. Can't get much further away and still be in Michigan

Would have liked to see you Doug. Didn't know you were that close.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Cword

Glad to hear you guys had a better Bonneville experience than 1149.
I've heard that she ate #4 piston on her second run last Sunday.

I'm in Frenchrodders territory tonight, Grenoble France. We may make a run up the road to Bonneville France tomorrow, just for a pictures sake.

Mike
--

phat46

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Wow, glad you guys and no-one else was hurt. New wheel and new tire? My left rear flat tire fixed is still going strong.

Phil and I are still on the road. We left Williston, ND this morning on U.S. 2 and have stopped in Ironwood, MI (707 rainy miles) for the night. Lucked out in Wisconsin. I was gaining on a car in a 60 zone at about 70. As I got closer I suspected it was a cruiser. He slowed,  I slowed, he pulled off, I passed at about 50, he came out and followed for a couple miles at 55. He slowed and turned left at the county line. He did what he wanted, he slowed me down...no foul, no harm.

585 miles to go tomorrow. Can't get much further away and still be in Michigan

Would have liked to see you Doug. Didn't know you were that close.

Charlie

Charlie, do you run US 2 all the way across the U.P.  We have a shortcut at Crystal Falls that will save 20 miles to Escanaba, you miss the whole loop through Wisconsin and the traffic in Iron Mountain/ Norway etc.

Charlie Chops 1940

Phat 46,

Yes, we ran 2 all the way. Shaved 5 miles off the Google Maps time. No real problems other yjan a detour just shy of St Ignace. Took about an extra hour all in all...lots of trailer rigs returnuning home. Made good time in the lower. Home about an hour ago.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

phat46

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Phat 46,

Yes, we ran 2 all the way. Shaved 5 miles off the Google Maps time. No real problems other yjan a detour just shy of St Ignace. Took about an extra hour all in all...lots of trailer rigs returnuning home. Made good time in the lower. Home about an hour ago.

Charlie

Yeah, I saw last week that they had the Cut River Bridge closed..again...
If you do the drive across the U.P. a lot I can tell you about the shortcut if you want. Always lots of trailers on Sundays heading east on 2, all the trolls heading home... :lol:

Beck

I had a great trip with the guys from the "Just Glad to be Here" race team. These guys are just super to be around. I don't think I would have what it takes to drive 250 mph on the salt. Hooley's the man! John does a great job keeping everything moving, and Sumner keeps tabs on the car.
I had some things to catch up on when getting home so I just read about the truck wheel incident. Wow.. Those get scary, even worse with a loaded car hauler. Glad everyone is ok.
I had my old truck at Wendover for the event. I also had a mishap on the way home. At the 155 mile marker on I80 in Nebraska a guy that was passing me decided to get back into my lane. Our front wheels met. The side of my truck got pancaked front to back. No one was injured and both vehicles were drivable. He got a drivers certificate from the state police. It appears his insurance will pay the repair bills. Now just finding the time to get it done.
What a week!

enjenjo

Well it looks like all but Denise are home relatively unscathed. That can only be good. Good luck to Denise too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Tom,

"At the 155 mile marker on I80 in Nebraska a guy that was passing me decided to get back into my lane. "

I think it was mile marker 222 where we had our incident.  Sorry to hear about the damage to your truck but I am glad you are okay.  I really like that truck and you have done some great work on it.  You should post some pictures so that everyone can see it.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH