220v circuit/MIG welder question

Started by jaybee, August 16, 2009, 09:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

As I'm adding a 220v circuit for my new air compressor I'd also like to add a 220v receptacle for a possible MIG welder in the future.  What sort of amperage should I allow for to run a hobby welder that's capable of auto body and possibly occasional frame work at say, .125 thickness?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Mac

Welding .125 is well within the capabilities of even a 110V machine, so you're not talking a very heavy duty welder. Still, welders will vary in amp requirements from one make / model to another. Your best bet would be to surf around and find the aperage specs for a unit you think might be one you'd shop for in the future.
In my shop I have a cloths dryer / kitchen range type 220V outlet on a 30 amp breaker that my compressor is plugged into with a dryer / range type cord and plug. I use the same outlet for my 220V Lincoln AC/DC arc welder. I'm a solo act so I don't need them both on at the same time.
Who\'s yer Data?

crdnblu

Based on HTP online specs, a 30 amp, 220 volt breaker will support up to, & OVER  welding on .125 inch thickness material.  A 25 amp circuit will typically support UP TO .125 inch material.

jaybee

Thanks.  My wiring is perfectly adequate for 30a so that's probably what I'll do.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)