I had enough of too picky people

Started by junkyardjeff, July 22, 2009, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I put a new vinyl top on a decent 85 Olds Toronado and the owner just had to have the original type foam so it took a couple of days to get in and when UPS gets our stuff to us its usally after 3 so its the next day after the parts arrive before I can get started since I am on something else waiting for parts,now he wants his car back and kind of rushing me plus the owner of the shop is whining that he needs cash for the shop so I take a little short cut and get the job done.  This guy comes in and looks over every square inch of the car and finds a couple things with the short cut that the average folks would not have even looked for and makes a fuss even though he was rushing me on the job,so today I had to take most of the rear interior out so I can remove the quarter windows so I can remove the two chrome pieces and then fix the short cuts and then go over it so nothing would be wrong with it.  He came back today and spent almost a hour going over it and finding things in the paint I had nothing to do with plus the paint is original and showing its age even though he said some had been repainted which I doubt,the owner of the shop told him that we cant be responsible for iffy paint since the car has to be masked when spraying glue so he did end up taking it but I told him I do not want to work on any more of his cars unless we go over it completely before doing anything to it.  All of the other employees want the owner to get forms made so we can write down all the imperfections before any work is done but they refuse to so I will let them deal with it,I am thinking about finding a job where I dont have to work on others cars again if I get more of these type people.

enjenjo

you find them every where. You just have to learn to live with it. You also learn not to take  shortcuts that will bite you.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkyardjeff

Since he rushed me I should of told him to deal with it and I was not going to go back over it but I did to keep my reputation good,he was one of those type that said he was in no hurry but really was and stopping by the shop every day but he did not get it as quick as he wanted since it had to stay a little longer.  The shop owner kind of promises them back  a little quicker then they should go and is constanly whining about needing money,when I was hired I told him I wont let them go before I was ready but he keeps promising them when the customer wants then instead of how long the job takes and usually there is more wrong then what can be seen and guess what they dont get the car when they want and more money is needed for the repair.  It seems like I am one one carrying the shop now as the electronic installers and the window tinters are not busy so he is wanting the cars to go out quick to get money.

Crosley.In.AZ

A friend of mine works in glass shop in Sun City AZ   area...  

They have a form with a out line of a car on it...  they walk around the  whole car with the customer and note every nick, blip , dent, phart  on the form , then the customer has to sign it.

My friend told me these retired folks are the most impatient people he has ever dealt with
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

junkyardjeff

We want the owner to do that but he wont listen,it would save a bunch of hassels but he owns the shop.

chimp koose

Everyone has met a few people like you have mentioned. Often they are not in a hurry at the start but then change their story. Lots of times they dont want the high quality work ,just a quick fix ,until it comes time to pay for the work. Then they get really picky and start chirping about the bill.I wish there was a way to figure these guys out before you take on the job. Any suggestions?

wayne petty

jeff i know where you are at...    when i worked for the sleeping boss...  the hurry up at the end we need cash... was the norm...

digital cameras are available...  make sure it can do close ups.... keep it in your tool box...

when people push you... but you don't have the stuff to do it... just wait.. tell them that the special order parts they have requested have not arrived...  give them the tracking number if they hassle you more...   then tell them it still takes several days to do the job once you get the special ordered stuff..

i know how hard those E body tops are to do...   and yes.. you have to pull the interior to get the trim off from the inside...    as least you did not have some helper walk over and try to pop out the fiberoptic opera lamps... with a screwdriver from the outside...  and break both of them...   when i was almost done he then picked up the razor blade to trim off the excess material... i managed to yell across the shop to stop him after he had only scratched through several feet of paint...  right down to shiny steel...

ever wonder why landau top cars rust out around the edges...   who ever trimmed the excess material...   sliced right through the paint and primer... leaving a bare spot where water can collect after every wash...

don't let the boss owe you pay..  this may happen next... i don't want to know... don't post it...    when stuff like this happens... something is happening to the money... other than the rent and payroll...

junkyardjeff

Its been over 15 years since I last seen one come in a shop and it could also be the first one I have done,at the last shop I worked the owner could not do convertibles so I done thm all and he done most of the vinyl tops.

57larry

ever think about starting your own shop?

wayne petty

Jeffs Upholstery.   where you wait to be seated, enjoy it long afterward, and brag to friend about being needled by jeff..   where he will keep you and your car in stitches...

where all your TOP problems will be sewn up... glued down and trimmed off..

turn your RAG TOP back into a convertible top...

so you don't have to drive around with your winter and rain gear on

custom fender covers also.... protect the paint you spend so many hours polishing...    (((Kimberly clark car cover materials can be used for inner liners on custom fender covers))) but you knew this...

spring is a season.. not something that rips your pants and pokes you every time you go over a bump...

double layers are an option for work and service trucks..  extra strength fabrics also...

custom car bras for cars with or without dagmars... :)

custom dash covers...  package tray covers also...

rumrumm

I would simply have asked him if he wanted it done or done right. His choice.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

57larry

Sean

Quote from: "Crosley"A friend of mine works in glass shop in Sun City AZ   area...  

My friend told me these retired folks are the most impatient people he has ever dealt with

I'll bet they are. My Grandma lives in Sun City and she's about the meanest ol' B**** you'd ever run across... :wink:

junkyardjeff

I would like to move to a area where its warmer and less rain before I open up a shop.