Tool chest suggestions from another "new" old guy.

Started by 48builder, July 20, 2009, 07:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

Hi guys,

It's prolly been a year since I last visited. My job is keeping me far too busy and away from home far too much. Hope everyone is doing well. I'll have to spend some time reading posts and catch up.

I have been working on upgrading my garage in preparation for doing some work on the car this winter. I have 3 of the walls painted, some cabinets put up on the walls and I will paint the floor with Rustoleum epoxy paint soon.

I'm looking for suggestions for tool chests. I don't need Snap-on quality, but I do want drawer slides with bearings. I saw a set yesterday at Lowes (Kobalt brand) that seemed like good quality, plus I get my 10% military discount there. Haven't looked at Sears yet but will keep my eyes open for a good sale. How about the Harbor Freight stuff? I saw some on-line with free shipping that looked decent. I'd like to keep the cost under a grand.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

sirstude

Watch Craig's list and buy the Snap-on or Mac or even Matco.  You will be happier in the long run.  There is a HUGE Difference in the quality of their boxes.  I have been using a piece of software called CraigsPal and can search all the CL's at the same time.  I have seen some great buys, on boxes.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Crosley.In.AZ

Sears has what they call a  professional line and also  a lower level line up with bearing drawers.

the professional line has gotten a bit pricey...  I would suggest you check the lower line up with bearing drawers for home use.

I would not buy anything with out bearing drawer guides.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

C9

You can find these workbenches at Sears.
Cheaper than rollaways by quite a bit and same drawers.
Ball bearing drawers and there's quite a bit of weight in a couple of the drawers.

They run different prices - not sure what they are nowadays - due to how many drawers.
Some come with one set of drawers on one side and a door with metal shelf inside.

I had bother-in-law get a couple and tied them together with a couple lengths of MDF board.
Made a nice workbench/tool storage deal for him.

I did make a point to separate them so the workbench was long enough to slide another drawer/workbench assembly in between the two for future storage expansion.

This pic is of my old SoCal garage.

Four workbenches in all, makes a long workbench that's just under 16' long.

When I built this one I bought six workbenches, stole the drawers out of two of them which left me with two double doored workbenches that I sold to the guys at work for half price.

Drawers purchased individually are expensive and it's better to buy a complete workbench for less.

The last couple of benches - watch for sales - I bought, one ended up with a sheet metal top and Sweetie used it for a potting bench.
The other I sold to a co-worker.

Did the same trick later on and the end workbench has roller bearings.
Even so, a little silicon lube now and then keeps the plain sliders working well.

Do yourself a favor and bolt a 16' or so long piece of 1/8" x 2" angle iron to the legs on front and back.

This creates an additional tie and allows you to move the (empty) bench by yourself.

I did remove the heavy top when I moved to Arizona.

The height was very nice (I'm 6' tall) with the 2x4's and particle board + masonite on top, but here in Arizona it has an MFD top and it gained a little height with the angle iron so no probs there.

So far, the workbench has been in three garages and is hanging in there pretty good.

I find rollaways at all levels of quality at garage sales out here.
Start checking the paper for garage sales.
I have one, but it stays in one place and I have a roller cart with upper and lower decks for carrying tools to and from the job.

A little pegboard - paint it white - and you're in business....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

enjenjo

If you are near a TSC store, their Farmhand brand of tool boxes are good quality, and the price is good.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48builder

Thanks for all the great ideas, guys. I will start checking into them.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

WINGNUTZ

I actually like sliders versus Rollers because I had to move the box around aircraft and Rollers tend to surprise you when you least expect it!!!

I have a "Snap-on" with 11 drawers and a Side box with 2 shelves and 3 drawers with keys and locks that I'll sell you for $750...

2 drawbacks probably be shipping and the Drawers are "Sliders"!!!

48builder

Today's Sears ad has a Premium level set on sale 50% off - $700. Roller slides, 60" tall and 41" wide. I think it said 15 drawers. Looks like a great price to me. Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks

Walt
'39 Chevy driver