Anyone know anything about ford transmissions?

Started by 48ford, July 20, 2009, 01:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

Hi all,
I'm in trouble (again)
one of the kids has a 1988 bronco(full size with a 302 and 5 speed.
We put a new clutch in it last weekend,but now the troube starts.
I took the shifter out od the top of the tranny,so We could pull the tranny .now after we get it back together,We put the shifter back in the tranny and put the 3 bolts back in it.but the tranny is stuck in neutral!
I pull it back out,look inside ,but every thing looks O.K. to me . So we put it back together and it's still stuck in neutral.You can move the stick sideways put you can't pull it into any gears.
Anyone know what i'm doing wrong?
Thanks russ&Irene

MrMopar64

Not sure about Fords...... But on my old Chevy if the fingers were not lined up across from each other when you put the shifter in it wouldn't shift as the misaligned finger was partly in gear.....

Good Luck

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

wayne petty

pull the shifter.,.....

look down the hole....  

do you see a single ring...  or do you see 3 rods with notches in them...

the slots all have to line up to properly install the shifter... use a screw driver to align them... before installing the shifter

i also wonder...     i cannot seem to find any good pictures... and my 90 ford truck manual is stashed in a box someplace...  if it is possible that the shifter is being put in rotated to another position...

if the tip is rectangular...  and it gets installed 90 degrees off...  it will try to move 2 rods at the same time...  this is not going to happen...

so... pull the shifter.. use a screw driver to center the slots in the rods... work each rod forward , back to neutral and back .. then forward to neutral again...

i would imagine that you have figured it out already...

48ford

I got it, Thanks guys.
The slots were not lined up(thet don't move very easy)
But it's all together now.
Things sure are hard when your dead tired.
Thanks again Russ