Going to colorado

Started by 48ford, July 01, 2004, 09:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

We are going out to Colorado springs for Irenes family reunion,anything we should NOT miss when we are out there?
I want to gp to pikes peak and then out to durango to see friends,then home to Ohio.
Thanks Russ&Irene

midnight sun

Quote from: "48ford"We are going out to Colorado springs for Irenes family reunion,anything we should NOT miss when we are out there?
I want to gp to pikes peak and then out to durango to see friends,then home to Ohio.
Thanks Russ&Irene

Garden of the Gods is pretty cool.  Also if you are into zoo's, Cheyenne Mountain is a good one.

later
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "48ford"We are going out to Colorado springs for Irenes family reunion,anything we should NOT miss when we are out there?
Thanks Russ&Irene
I was there briefly in 2000, and I took the cog railway to Pike's Peak; it was fantastic.  http://www.cograilway.com/
In summer it is very popular, so book ahead.  They expalin a bit about the geography and history.  BTW, take a jacket; at 14,000 feet it can get real cold any time of year.

phat46

Thanks Russ&Irene

If you get the chance, try to drive through Wolf Creek pass on the way to Durango. The senery is unbelievable, especially to us flatlanders....

1FATGMC

Quote from: "phat46"

If you get the chance, try to drive through Wolf Creek pass on the way to Durango. The senery is unbelievable, especially to us flatlanders....

It is great scenery that way, but right now there is quite a bit of road construction on it.  We went that way going to Pueblo last week and were held up for about 40 minutes all told.  At least the scenery was nice where we were parked.  Really it wasn't that bad.  We came back over Chama pass to the south of Wolf Creek.

I would go Wolf Creek one way and either 50 to the north and back that way.  From Durango over the mountain at Silverton (prettiest mountain drive in the west I think) and down to Ouray and back east on 50 (very twisty).

Or else at Pagosa go south to Chama and over the pass back east that way.  Also very pretty.

I'm 145 miles to the west of Durango.  Stop in if you can.

c ya, Sum

48ford

Thanks for all the info,We are out of here monday morning,
Boy don't temp me on comming to Utah,I could live there for sure!
thanks again
Russ&Irene