F-1 & F-100 Brakes ?? Same or Different

Started by 48bill, August 17, 2009, 08:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48bill

I have a set of 48 Ford F-1  brakes that I want to use on my 26 modified project.  

I have information on adapting the F-100 (53-56 Ford pickup) brakes to the 37-41 spindles.  

Are the F-1 brakes the same as the F-100?  If not what is neded to adapt the F-1's to the early spindles?

Thanks for the help.
48bill
Bill C from Connecticut
48 Chevrolet Cabriolet

enjenjo

For all practical purposes, they are the same. You can use 60s F100 parts to make them self adjusting.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

I think most of the process of adapting the F-100 brakes is with the hubs to use the later drums. I had a "Parts Man" come up with a neat trick for me years ago that worked. The '48 F-1 (and maybe the newer ones) used the same diameter kingpin as the earlier Ford cars. I just used the spindle/brakes from the truck on a car axel. Now the trucks are drag link steered and the cars are cross steered. Old Jeeps used a tierod end that has a longer body with a boss for another tierod in it's side (Speedway has them too but they don't tell you what the original application was). The Jeep part has the same tierod taper and thread (11/16") as Ford and it with a shortened tierod gives you a way to cross steer. Of course if you are going to steer your "T" with a drag link you can delete the two previous sentences. Now a little more information. The truck brakes are self-energizing and they use 11" drums rather than the 12" drums of the older cars/trucks. This allows you to run 15" (or even 14") with more room for cooling air around the drums which also adds to braking elliciency. The truck lug pattern is the same as the early cars, 5 - 5 1/2" so early wheels will fit on them BUT '35 Ford wire wheels will not fit. Early Ford drums had a step in them where the hub fit and the center of the wire wheels is made to co-inside with this step. To use these wires on the truck drums will require a spacer about 1 1/2" thick. GPster