Aluminum wheels - how to care for

Started by Jokester, May 31, 2009, 11:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jokester

I bought some used aluminum wheels a couple of years ago and am finally installing them.  They have some spots and tarnish on them.  What's the best way to clean and polish these without breaking the bank?  Is there any sealer I should apply after they are clean and shiny.

Steel wool? Scotch brite pads?  Wenol?  I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Oh, there's no coating on them, just aluminum wheels.

thx,

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

Carnut

Heh, heh, all of the above.

I've run aluminum wheels since the 60's.

When they are really bad they have nicks and gouges and 'stuff' stuck to them.

I use sandpaper to sand out the gouges and nicks.

I use steel wool to get the 'stuff' off the surfaces.

I then chuck up a big buffing wheel and hold the wheel up and polish the heck out of them.

On occasion I've used a small buffing disk on a drill motor to polish up things, but in doing so I've burned up a drill motor. Heh, Heh, also had a wifey get her hair caught in the drill motor once as well.

After wheels are polished I just use Nevr-Dul wadding to keep the polish.

Never used Wenol, but imagine it's similar to Nevr-Dul.

Never tried clear lacquer over the wheel to maintain shine, but guess some folks do.

Guess if you were really bucks up you could get them clear powder coated, never tried that either.

I'm pretty hard on my aluminum wheels in my usage.

C9

Had a pair polished at a chrome shop..

Mother's mag cleaner/polish a couple of times, mostly just wash them, they still look good.

You can polish them at home, just takes some doing and maybe a little experimenting.

A discussion on the HAMB about slot mags.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363978

Roadsters.com has some info on hand polishing mags.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

purplepickup

Regular maintenance with Wenol works very good once you get the corroded spots off.  I use an old clean cotton sock that I slip my hand in then put a little wenol on it and rub.  It doesn't take long at all to bring back a highly polished finish.   Once in a while I follow up with coat of wax and wipe clean with a microfiber cloth to finish.   They stay nice for quite a long time. 8)

For me the sock is easier to use than trying to hold on to a rag with arthritic hands.  I use one to apply wax the car with too.

I wouldn't try to coat wheels with a clear finish to keep the shine.  You will have a mess when the coating starts to come off.  Then you'll have to strip them.  Also be very careful using liquid cleaners.  I've seen some terribly tarnished aluminum wheels as a result of using the wrong industrial type cleaner to clean tires. :(
George

papastoyss

I bought one of the Powerballs endorsed by Chip What'shisname. I really like it. There is also now a smaller size to get into places where the big ball won't go.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

rumrumm

Wenol makes two grades of polish--regular and fine. They also make a wax. I used the wax on my wheels when I first got them, and they still have a good shine seven years later. Zoops makes a coating for aluminum. I think it is probably the best stuff out there but the $90.00 cost is prohibitive (at least for me). The Wenol wax has done a good job so I recommend it.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com