Modifying a steering wheel

Started by enjenjo, June 14, 2009, 01:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I have a project that I am making a custom steering wheel for. The rim of the steering wheel is soft, not as soft as sponge rubber, but not solid either. I have to cut it away in a couple places to weld it. Any ideas on what to use as a filler material? The rim will end up leather wrapped, so color is not important.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tom36

enjenjo

Quote from: "tom36"JB weld ?  Tom...

I think that would be too hard. I have used it in the past for hard plastic wheels.

unklian

What if you stripped the wheel completely, and start from scratch.
We did a couple, foam rubber over rubber hose, wrapped in Leather.

tom36

How about some of that autobody seam sealer that is used in cars to seal like around 1/4 panels and wheel wells?  It fills some pretty good gaps and drys hard but flexable.  Fusor is a name that come to mind.  Tom...

enjenjo

Quote from: "unklian"What if you stripped the wheel completely, and start from scratch.
We did a couple, foam rubber over rubber hose, wrapped in Leather.

That is a thought. I will keep that in mind.

wayne petty

you might look at this....

dynotron/bondo... urethane bumper repair kit.. #660.... designed for repairing endura bumpers... hardens in minutes...    lasts for years...  should be paintable with the same flex additives used to paint flexible body parts...

http://www.3m.com/US/auto_marine_aero/Bondo/catalog_item40fb.html?itemNbr=661

others are not the same... i use this to fill honda and taurus transmission mounts...    really firms them up...  makes them solid... but still slightly flexible...

enjenjo

Quote from: "tom36"How about some of that autobody seam sealer that is used in cars to seal like around 1/4 panels and wheel wells?  It fills some pretty good gaps and drys hard but flexable.  Fusor is a name that come to mind.  Tom...

I'll check with the local body supply and see if they have something.

Inprimer

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "tom36"How about some of that autobody seam sealer that is used in cars to seal like around 1/4 panels and wheel wells?  It fills some pretty good gaps and drys hard but flexable.  Fusor is a name that come to mind.  Tom...

Enjenjo I just did a Stude 18" wheel, it had about a million cracks in it, tried with JB Weld but too much work and a ton of filler needed to look right, so... cut out all plastic but saved the 3 spokes, went to Lowes and got about 5' of 3/8" orange air hose, slit it lenghtwise and tried all sort of adhesives best luck with Liquid nails  then when that dried bought (ID)5/8 "heater hose once again slit it and glued over the 3/8" id air hose. did a google search and found a place that sells steeting wheel wraps I believe they advert. on E bay, anyway it cost around $37+ shipping for less than $50 I got a neat steering wheel, since it's a stocker couldn't use a smaller wheel that was my solution. I can e mail you the finished product since I don't know how to put it on here, let me know...

enjenjo

Quote from: "Inprimer"
Quote from: "enjenjo"

Enjenjo I just did a Stude 18" wheel, it had about a million cracks in it, tried with JB Weld but too much work and a ton of filler needed to look right, so... cut out all plastic but saved the 3 spokes, went to Lowes and got about 5' of 3/8" orange air hose, slit it lenghtwise and tried all sort of adhesives best luck with Liquid nails  then when that dried bought (ID)5/8 "heater hose once again slit it and glued over the 3/8" id air hose. did a google search and found a place that sells steeting wheel wraps I believe they advert. on E bay, anyway it cost around $37+ shipping for less than $50 I got a neat steering wheel, since it's a stocker couldn't use a smaller wheel that was my solution. I can e mail you the finished product since I don't know how to put it on here, let me know...

Email it to me

Quoteyou might look at this....

dynotron/bondo... urethane bumper repair kit.. #660.... designed for repairing endura bumpers... hardens in minutes... lasts for years... should be paintable with the same flex additives used to paint flexible body parts...

http://www.3m.com/US/auto_marine_aero/Bondo/catalog_item40fb.html?itemN br=661

others are not the same... i use this to fill honda and taurus transmission mounts... really firms them up... makes them solid... but still slightly flexible...  

I'll check into this Wayne.

Mac

How about a high end quality caulk? I have some I sell at my paint store. One's called Big Stretch the other is Geocel Pro Flex that I've used for a few "non-standard" applications. Maybe not found in the homecenters but your well stocked INDEPENDENT paint and hardware stores (shameless promo).
Who\'s yer Data?

unklian

C9

The HAMB had an excellent article on casting a new wheel using MFD board for the mold.

It was in the tech week from 4-6 months ago and not the one that just got over last week or two.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

enjenjo

Lots of good ideas here. Now I just have to find a material that gives me the texture I want.