10 y/o 'Burb vs Expedition? Which to buy? Thanks!

Started by Arnold, May 22, 2009, 05:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Thanks! in advance for any help. I think I can post..just not respond to posts yet??

A bit off topic. I know..I should be talking about my toy! 1966 GMC 960 with 7.20..yes 7.20 gears and 40" duals.

I am going to need something big..lots of cargo space inside. Buy it hopefully in the next few months. I have seen lots of these things where the rear rear seats come out..and the rear seats fold down. I am in Toronto..the price of vans..and pickups is just stoopid! No one would pay those prices! A 'Burb or an Ex. is much,much better value. 10 y/o they are about 4G..just  less than 3 to just over 5.

I used to be really into these things in the 70's to 90's..but I have been way out of that loop.

I have heard and read lots of good on both..not that much bad,
Aren't those 5.4 Tritons the ones that spit spark plugs? Some of the GM's..I think 5.3's have the intake gasket nonsense?. Weren't some of the 99 or so GM trans crap? 5.7 GM or 4.6 Ford? I don't need power.

There seem to be lots of them used around here with high mileage too..250-300k in still in perfect condition.

The Ex's are about a g cheaper than the 'Burb's.

I guess not to expect any more than about 15mpg. Not planning on doing much mileage with them.

I'll maintain it myself..but don't want to take up residence outside my toolbox.

Thanks! for any help..
 Arnold..

tomslik

Quote from: "Arnold"Thanks! in advance for any help. I think I can post..just not respond to posts yet??

A bit off topic. I know..I should be talking about my toy! 1966 GMC 960 with 7.20..yes 7.20 gears and 40" duals.

I am going to need something big..lots of cargo space inside. Buy it hopefully in the next few months. I have seen lots of these things where the rear rear seats come out..and the rear seats fold down. I am in Toronto..the price of vans..and pickups is just stoopid! No one would pay those prices! A 'Burb or an Ex. is much,much better value. 10 y/o they are about 4G..just  less than 3 to just over 5.

I used to be really into these things in the 70's to 90's..but I have been way out of that loop.

I have heard and read lots of good on both..not that much bad,
Aren't those 5.4 Tritons the ones that spit spark plugs?

yep,one of fords better ideas.
doing one at work right now.
i wouldn't have a ford truck stuck up my... :)(

Some of the GM's..I think 5.3's have the intake gasket nonsense?.

nope, not 5.3's, well, not the crap YOU"RE thinking of anyway.
they do have some intake gasket issues but just a vaccumm leak.

Weren't some of the 99 or so GM trans crap? 5.7 GM or 4.6 Ford? I don't need power.

4.6 fords'll toss plugs, too.

There seem to be lots of them used around here with high mileage too..250-300k in still in perfect condition.

The Ex's are about a g cheaper than the 'Burb's.

I guess not to expect any more than about 15mpg. Not planning on doing much mileage with them.

I'll maintain it myself..but don't want to take up residence outside my toolbox.

change #3 or #4 plug on the ford once and you'll trade it off....
 Thanks! for any help..

oh yeah, the sway bar strut links will be broken, pre-rusted at the factory.

Arnold..

they're job security for me :shock:  :(D)  :(U)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

phat rat

I'd buy the Burb without a second thought. Your story of being less money for the Expedition reminds me of a number of years ago when my wife was looking at Lincoln Continentals and Seville's. She bought the Lincoln because of about a grand difference. She regretted that decision for a number of years. The Lincoln was finally replaced by an Eldorado. To this day you couldn't give her a Lincoln. As far as mileage I got as high as 16 on my 94 1/2T 4wd Burb running empty out on the highway
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

most of the burbans I have seen with hi miles... the rear leaf  springs are shot - worn out - need work.

If yer gonna tow.. get the springs re-done  or add air bags  or BOTH.  I have air bags on my 2006 Silverado 1500  and used the  air bags   on my 2000 Silverado  1500 too.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)