spliced wires

Started by Coupe, May 13, 2009, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe

will wire splicing of sensor wires  affect computers reading of sensors.  I have a ramjet 350 wired with a dz telorvek panel and some of the wires were accidentally cut. now i am getting code readings of both high and low temp sensor readings, both high and low tps sensor readings and low voltage map sensor readings.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Coupe"will wire splicing of sensor wires  affect computers reading of sensors.  I have a ramjet 350 wired with a dz telorvek panel and some of the wires were accidentally cut. now i am getting code readings of both high and low temp sensor readings, both high and low tps sensor readings and low voltage map sensor readings.

How did you splice?  With mechanical or solder?  I think they need to be soldered because they are usually low voltage and there might be some loss with a mechanical splice.  Also check for a good grounds in the system.

My thoughts.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

crdnblu

I would also suggest that you pose this question to Ron Francis Wire Works, as well.  (When in doubt, I always go to the experts; they've been great to deal with......)

enjenjo

Crimp splices will work, but they have to be done correctly.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Is there any chance some of the wires were hooked to the wrong one? I had some strange stuff happen and found out my used harness had a surprise in it.
TEAM SMART

The Paisano

As long as your splices were done correctly,I think yoiu have a couple wires crossed.You have to be careful,some of the colors are so close in color anymore.also,some of the new stlye wires are so small in gauge that you may have spliced to tight and broken the wires in the crimp itself.
I would go over my work again and have another look.And like the other "Cat" said make sure your grounds are nice,clean and tight.
Paisano

Coupe

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
Quote from: "Coupe"will wire splicing of sensor wires  affect computers reading of sensors.  I have a ramjet 350 wired with a dz telorvek panel and some of the wires were accidentally cut. now i am getting code readings of both high and low temp sensor readings, both high and low tps sensor readings and low voltage map sensor readings.

How did you splice?  With mechanical or solder?  I think they need to be soldered because they are usually low voltage and there might be some loss with a mechanical splice.  Also check for a good grounds in the system.

My thoughts.

John

Long store short: I inherited the problem and what I found was the Telorvek panel was installed horizontally with the wires exiting to the left of the unit behind the driver seat. When it was manufactured the unit sits vertically with the wires coming out of the bottom. now the simple mistake i found was that the terminal cover with the numbers showing the placement of the wires is oriented originally from the factory with the numbers facing into or towards the center of the unit but when the number strip is removed there is no terminal numbering on the unit to follow. picking up the terminal cover the numbers 1 -25 are read left to right BUT when the unit is installed horizontally the number cover correctly installed should read upside down!
consiquently they thought that the unit was wired incorrectly and cut and spliced wires inside of the unit. A very simple mistake but it has set back the build nearly a year. (many other factors too)
I disambled the unit and re-spliced the wires mechanically. i am still getting codes 14/15 - 21/22 and 34 which all lead to a common  ground problem but I have cleaned up all the ground connections. At this point i figure it must be in the box where the splices are. I think the next opportunity I will open the unit and solder the connections and if that dosn't take care of the problem I may have to buy another unit. being so hacked up, I dont feel it would be roadworthy enough for my sister in law to drive long distance.  this has been a real hair raising ordeal for me because i only get a chance to work on it one day every few months. Living in Oregon and the car is in SoCal but I want to thank all of you for the input. I havn't used this site much (4 or 5 times) but I do read a lot of posts and I have to say this is the most informative site i have ever been on. Thanks again

enjenjo

I hate to tell you this, but if power was applied with the wires hooked up wrong, there is a very good chance the computer is junk.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Harry

Some wires are not meant to be cut. They have to be the correct length.

Coupe

Quote from: "enjenjo"I hate to tell you this, but if power was applied with the wires hooked up wrong, there is a very good chance the computer is junk.

Yeah, I know. i'm sending it to Arizona Speed & Marine tomorrow to have it checked out. this is probably a $900 mistake if I have to replace the telorvek unit too. Im taking off to Oregon in my 37 tomorrow so I wont be able to work on it for a while but at least when i get back there will be new parts to work with.

RFW TDZ

Gentlemen,
Many of these sensors work off of resistance values.  It's very important to keep the resistance in the wire down so that the ECM reads the correct resistance being produced by the sensor or the ECM will have a very difficult time controlling the engine properly.  I would suggest soldering the wires together and covering with good heat shrink.  Both should be available at a Radio Shack, etc.  If you have trouble sourcing, please send me an e-mail.

Scott @
Ron Francis Wiring &
The Detail Zone