ozrodders working bee. my blown 202 now fitted video added

Started by barnsey, April 05, 2009, 07:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barnsey

Had a great weekend  :D  :D
A few guys from ozrodders.com made the pilgramage from all over the state 5  6 and 7 hour drives each between them to deliver my new blown 202 (inline 6) there was plenty of ales drank and lots of work done.
they instaled my new engine sorted out my steering and completed lots of other little jobs, including running LPG gas lines as this engine has been built to run straight lpg.
After installing the new engine, it was fired up on normal gas (petrolium) :)  then let run at 2000 RPM for about an hour.
Then the 350 holly was removed and the lpg hooked up.
the engine fired straight up an ran really smoothley.
the new engine has between 300 and 340 hp. I still have a few jobs to do before putting it back on the road,. but it should only be a few weeks before i am out cruising again.
here is the car the engine has just been installed in.

And here is a video of the engine fireing up on lpg, I can tell you all that i am one happy man. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

thanks to all those guys who made the trip to help me get my car back on the road.
cheers barnsey

phat46

Now there's something you don't see everyday, at least around here. Nice job!

enjenjo

Is there any interchangeability between a 202 and a 230 Chevy? they look pretty much the same. How long have they been making them?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

PeterR

Quote from: "enjenjo"Is there any interchangeability between a 202 and a 230 Chevy? they look pretty much the same. How long have they been making them?

These are an Aussie motor produced for about 20 years from 1963.

The capacity increased over the years, and from memory they were always available in two size options.   If my memory is wrong someone will correct me. :wink:

149cu in 3.250x3.00 and 179cu in 3.5625x3.00

161cu in 3.375x3.00 and 186cu in 3.6250x3.00

173cu in 3.500x3.00 and 202cu in 3.6250x3.25

The external dimmensions of the block were the same for all versions, the only real give away between them being the figures cast in the side showing the capacity.  

The 202 made the best power, but to my ear the 186 was the smoothest running of the batch.

Although I have never measured them, the Chev 230 looks much bigger and I would be surprised if there is any interchangeability.

enjenjo

Ok, I was just curious. they look like a 194/230/250 Chevy. I think they must have been designed by the same people. I was wondering if it was designed in OZ, and came here, or designed here, and went to Oz. Or it may have been designed in Germany, and went both places.

PeterR

Quote from: "enjenjo"Ok, I was just curious. they look like a 194/230/250 Chevy. I think they must have been designed by the same people. I was wondering if it was designed in OZ, and came here, or designed here, and went to Oz. Or it may have been designed in Germany, and went both places.

We have always thought of them as being "home grown" but it would not be surprising for GM to have done some rationalising.  

These engines have an external oil pump driven by its own gear, and the cam is gear drive from the crank.

Sitting in the car and looking forward, the manifold is on the left side of the head, I seem to remember the Chev has it on the other side.

enjenjo

QuoteSitting in the car and looking forward, the manifold is on the left side of the head, I seem to remember the Chev has it on the other side.

The 230 six uses the same setup, same side. It came out in 62 in the Chevy II only as a 194 cube engine. the next year they introduced a 230 cube version for big cars and trucks, later they came out with a 250, and a tall deck 292 version. Then with a redesign it was also the Pontiac sprint six with an overhead cam in 67. And with two cylinders cut off it was the four cylinder chevy II motor that became the Pontiac Iron Duke 151.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"And with two cylinders cut off it was the four cylinder chevy II motor that became the Pontiac Iron Duke 151.
When it became the "Iron Duke" they started using the "cross-flo" head with the intake manifold on the right and intake on the left. Then to complicate matters they changed the bell housing bolt pattern so that it worked better on their front wheel drives GPster

purplepickup

That's a nice setup and it sounds nice and tight. 8)

I kept thinking that guy was going to stick his finger in the pulley though. :wink:
George

PeterR

Quote from: "enjenjo"
And with two cylinders cut off it was the four cylinder chevy II motor that became the Pontiac Iron Duke 151.

The 173 cu in came out with two cylinders chopped off as a 115cu in (just under 2 litre) --known as a "Starfire 4".   Not a great success here as it was just too small to push along a family car.

QuoteWhen it became the "Iron Duke" they started using the "cross-flo" head
A crossflow head would have been a great improvement to both the six and the four variants.  I have seen pictures of a 202 fitted with the alloy cross flow head from a Ford 250, apparently it went very well, but a huge amount of work.

TJ's Dad

Good one Barnsey .....  nearly there mate  :wink:

Great job Steve ( he's the one with the pulley finger  :lol: ) who built the engine and the rest of the blokes who made the trek to help out a friend.
I\'d rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomomy !!!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

38HAULR

These were pretty much home grown copies of a US GM product.  Similar deal to the 132 CI "Grey Motor"  that was introduced with the Holden in 1948 and carried through until 1962 with progressive changes.  This engine looks like a slightly scaled down Chev 6 with the rockers[valve cover] held down with the 2 nuts on top ..........Frank.