1964 Ford falcon

Started by ArizonaBear, April 11, 2009, 01:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaBear

Greetings; I bought a 1964 Ford Falcon sedan a few weeks back; it is powered by a 200 Six and (swapped in) C4 AT.

Being that both the motor and transmission are dying and I am looking at fuel economy here; is there even a semi practical way to swap in a Nissan Frontier 4 cyl/5 spd combo or am I looking at a major basket of snakes?

2rods

Anything is doable. I'm sure someone on here will make suggestions for you. Definitely came to the right place with all the knowledge here. Good luck with your swap and keep us updated with the way you went.

wayne petty

the quicker fix might be to throw in a fresh timing chain and gears...  yes the straight sixes have them... and the original chains do go slack...

find or buy a duraspark distributer for something like a 78 to 80 fairmont 200 six...   get a blue grommet module for it either a round electronic coil or a square version... and install it...    it will take a trip to the junk yard for a set of connectors all hooked together

duraspark distributer #30-2690,  large cap, large rotor, cap adaptor, coil and bracket, 8 mm spark plug wires. wiring between the distributer- module and coil, module #F102

the last few duraspark ignition swaps cost less than 150 bucks..

swapping in a late model fuel injected motor and transmission might be a good idea...    but .. a nissan...  why not bolt in a fuel injected  2.3 with a T5 out of a mustang or ranger pickup...  people do those all the time...  even swapping in a 2.3 turbo coupe motor with an intercooler...  and.. those really get good mileage... if you can keep your foot out of it... imagine a falcon.. that could cruise at 130mph.. might want to think about a brake upgrade.. and speed rated tires.

just a thought...

enjenjo

There should be plenty of room all round, sounds doable to me. You will have to fabricate the mounts for both engine and trans. how does the Nissan clutch work? that may be the toughest part to handle.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Are you asking this because you already have the NIssan motor? If not I'd certainly consider something else.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

tomslik

Quote from: "phat rat"Are you asking this because you already have the NIssan motor? If not I'd certainly consider anything else.

i'm not a nissan fan.....
how about a 3.0 or 4.0 from a late morel ranger?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

ArizonaBear

Quote from: "phat rat"Are you asking this because you already have the NIssan motor? If not I'd certainly consider something else.

The only other motor/trans I have handy are a Chevy 350/TH350 and; I have no desire to swap them into a Falcon------------I would go Ford 302 first since the 260 V8 was a factory option in 1964. :)

ArizonaBear

UPDATE:

I have a lead on a 200 Six/C4 out of a 1969 Mustang..........which should be 100% plug 'n' play into my car for now. I need to get this thing back on the road since it is my only vehicle.

The Paisano

I got a niece 3 - 1-barrel set up for that would work real niece on that 200
Used it on a sleeper I built in 1966.
Paisano

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "wayne petty"take a look at what powers other falcons

http://www.mustangandfords.com/sch/04/2-3-turbo-in-a-falcon/-2e----/articles/index.html?SearchSource=Group

First falcon on the list that link brought up is the 1963 Falcon in Tucson AZ... turbo 250 inline 6.. It recently ran 10.89  at 122 mph
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

38HAULR

Those Falcons here were not exactly thirsty on fuel,being light weight. We had a  1974 Ford Cortina which was the English Ford normally powered by a 2ltr 4.   In Australia Ford offered these with the Falcon 200 or 250. These came in manual or auto ,the auto being a Borg Warner 35.[this box is lighter than the C4 and would more likely also put less load or loss on the 6]. Our Cortina though would give 28 miles per gallon on a trip with the 250.   13 inch wheels and a 2.77 rear end.  We had similar mileage with less grunt from a 63 Falcon with a 170.  I would say adapt an o/d auto to the 200 or a manual o/d box for more fuel saving.     Incidently we got the C4 with our Falcon 6,s with the 1979 Model offered as a heavy duty tow package. I would say though that this box behind a 6 would rob some fuel economy though.........Frank.

tompeters

i think one of the best to consider would be a 302 . this motor will fit right in the space you have ,there are tons of aftermarket parts for this swap. not too many complications involved as it has been done a million times over the years.if they had the 302 in 64 they would have picked the falcon just as they did the mustang later. i have a 64 with a 351 and it is a far more complicated swap. but i did not have a 302 at the time. let us know which way you decide to go.