Can anybody here help me locate a snap ring?

Started by 348tripower, April 10, 2009, 05:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

I am in need of a external tapered ring with two lugs with the holes for removal for a 1 5/16 shaft. It is a extra heavy duty so it is .093 thick. I can find all kinds of manufacturers, but I can't find anyone selling these. McMaster Carr skips this size.
Anybody?
Don
Don Colliau

C9

Try your local bearing house.

A real auto parts house may stock them as well.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

enjenjo

Try a heavy truck parts supplier. As I recall that size is used on air brakes. On the cam shaft. Propar brakes.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

348tripower

Thanks for the replies.
The bearing supplier doesn't have these. I made a decision to EDM tap the end of the shaft and add a washer to it. All the snap ring really does is keep the shaft from falling out. I really don't know why the snap ring is so thick.  It is on it's way to be tapped. When it comes back I will just have to wack off .170 and lock tight a 3/8 16 flat head bolt in it.
Don
Don Colliau

purplepickup

You might have tried these places but...

Applied Industrial Technologies
McMaster Carr
Fastenal

You might have to buy a small package qty but I've found that any of these places will try to find sizes they don't stock or show in their catalogs.
George

wayne petty

http://www.smretainingrings.com/XHD%20RING%20SPECS.pdf

here is their contact info...

http://www.smretainingrings.com/about%20us.htm

i also searched the grainger catalog and the dorman products catalog

there is also a chance that a manual transmission shaft might use that size of retainer... since they are not individually marked... the FREE ID is 1.208 +.010 or - .015  but that is the only one that is even close..

there are a ton of bearing suppliers and other suppliers here in la.. i won't have time till monday to do much searching.. if you don't find them.,..

how many were you looking for???