If you were buying a new car....

Started by purplepickup, March 28, 2009, 12:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

37fordcoupe

In 2005 I bought a new Cadillac STS and during 31 months od driving it I put 127,000 miles without even changing a Litebulb.. One of the best cars I ever owned.

So this time I bought a new 2009 Cadillac CTS All Wheel Drive with the 306 H.P. Direct Injected motor.. I've only had it two weeks but I must say this is one nice car. It"s equipped with the Sports Tuned Supenion 18" wheels and drives like a dream. If the American Car Makers were building these types of cars for the past tens years I don't think they would be in the shape their in...

Darrell
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TO MUCH SPACE

Fat Cat

Quote from: "ONE37TUDOR"With all the problems facing the american auto makers I would think we would all spend more time thinking about making a purchase of a US badged auto than something from an out of US supplier?
Both Ford and GM have come a long way in the last several years and while the price may still be a bit higher than some the trade in return is also more.

Scott...

When we were looking at cars last year I had planned to replace it with a Chevy Uplander as that was the replacement for the Olds. But we could not find one with seats that felt anywhere near as comfortable as the Olds seats. We really liked the Buick Enclave but could not afford the $42,000 price tag. We then looked at a Ford Escape as my brother had one before the Hyundai and I liked it and liked the way it rode and felt from the drivers seat. When we went to look at new ones we found that they had redesigned the whole car and the interior was all wrong. The steering wheel felt like it was 4 foot away from me. My arms were fully extended with no bend at the elbow and my knees were up against the dash. Next we looked at the Ford Edge. The dealer we looked at had a 1 year old Edge Limited for $25,000. After that I told the wife we should look at the Hyundai as Brother Love liked his and I knew the cost was about the same as the 1 year old Edge. We bought our Hyundai new with 138 miles on it for $24,400 after taxes with most of the features of the Buick Enclave we looked at.

The simple fact was that I found nothing made by Ford, GM and Dodge that felt comfortable and had the required features I needed. The lone exception being the Enclave which cost twice my yearly income.

purplepickup

Quote from: "chimp koose"Purple pickup, how about this? KIJIJI ad id 101871068 in the classic cars section. Best of both worlds?
Chimp, that is one of the weirdest use of a 440 6pac that I've seen :shock:  Must be something about those long winters you have up there :wink:  http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-72-Dodge-Challenger-convertable-440-6Pac-4WD-W0QQAdIdZ101871068

ONE37TUDOR, I'd like to buy from a US company.  There are some good deals to be had now, and I expect more in the near future.  Many of the US badged cars are built somewhere else but buying from a US company seems like the right thing to do.  I have confidence in many of their products but am concerned about the future....warranty, parts, and general support.

I'm leaning to a small utility vehicle like a Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix).  One can be had for around $14K with 0% for 60 mo.  It's ugly to me but inside is very roomy and versatile. It's a high mpg 4 banger with lots of standard features, reliability is good, and putting a trailer hitch on it won't void the warranty.   I've got a couple of trailers that weigh less than 300 lbs and the only passenger is Murf most of the time so I don't see me overloading the GVWR.  I've still got my full sized van for heavy stuff.  

I've always bought used cars and probably still will, but the thought of having a car that I know all the history on sounds good to me...plus there's probably a little retirement "spoiling myself" factor going on.
George

Charlie Chops 1940

I've loved both of the Trailblazers. I just buzzed to Chicago and back this morning and early afternoon. On cruise at 65 and turned in the driveway at 22.7. Until I did about 40 miles of surface streets down there it was right at 24.5. And you know what it can tow.

My oldest son bought a mid-range HHR last fall after about a 1/4 mil on a Subaru...and he loves it. Right now you can get in one for a little under 14K.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

ONE37TUDOR

I really did not mean to come across quiet so strongly. You choice is just what it is, your choice! I also agree that no matter what you buy most of the parts will be made in some other country. Just a fact of life now days!

With money as tight as it is today a good value is more important than ever and as was expressed above a vehicle has to fit you, your family and your needs. What is important is to make the effort to find out that a US product does not fit you needs not to just assume so or to go entirely on someones experience.
I have a brother-in-law that works for a company that makes interior parts for a US auto maker. The company has had to lay off about half of their work force so far and things do not look good for it for the long run as more lay offs are expected. My bother-in-law decided that while he still had a job that he would take advantage of the incentives offered now so he went out and bought himself a new Toyota truck. Now he complaing that GM is just not treating their suppliers right by not buying their products like the did.
There are just to many people in the US today that just do not have a clue anymore and he is one of them!

I would not be overly concerned about the big 3 or is that big 2 auto makers going broke. The goverment simply can not allow that to happen as that it the primary manufacturing knowledge to provide the vehicles used in the defence of this country. They will be around in some manner although they are likely to be restructured in some way.

Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT

HotRodLadyCrusr

George, my folks bought a new Flex about 6-8 months ago and love it.  I've driven it a number of times and really liked it as well.  I haven't looked at new cars and don't really plan on it but if I was I would certainly put the Ford Flex high on my list.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Crosley.In.AZ

Has any body looked at the folks at  what  J.D. Powers or  Consumer Reports have to say about late model cars  good or bad?   Crash tests?

Institoot of Insurance crash tests?

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

Quote from: "Crosley"Has any body looked at the folks at  what  J.D. Powers or  Consumer Reports have to say about late model cars  good or bad?   Crash tests?

Institoot of Insurance crash tests?
8)
Yeah, this is a handy list of econo-boxes.  It shows JD Powers ratings among others.  Lots of info.  http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Small-Cars/

It's easy to get tempted.  I probably don't really NEED anything.  I know what I should do is to put some cash into making the Rambler wagon I've already got into a reliable highway cruiser instead of getting anything.  The Taurus will probably last a long time.

I need to get used to this retirement thing and get off my butt and get to work in the shop.
George

river1

Quote from: "purplepickup"I know what I should do is to put some cash into making the Rambler wagon I've already got into a reliable highway cruiser instead of getting anything.  The Taurus will probably last a long time.

now that's an idea i can get behind

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

39deluxe

The Vibe is a good choice. We got the first one our dealer sold and it was a great car during the 2 years we had it. The new ones are even better. We went to a Chevy Equinox after that on a 3 year lease and it was absolutely trouble free and a pleasure to drive. So much so that we ordered another one on a 39 month lease and it has about 1.5 years left to go. I read that the new Equinox may be posponed so we may just keep it when the lease comes up. They were both AWD.

Tom

Crosley.In.AZ

Purplepickuptruckretiredguy.......... hmm, I thought you got rid of the Rambler.

Fixing it up might be the option and drive the Taurust till it drops.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

ONE37TUDOR

Didn't you start this thread with a list of requirements that included the ability to tow 1500# and the travel the back woods? I would not think the Tarus or the Rambler would be the best suited for either of those two task?
The Rambler would however be more fun and I guess you could always build a 4X4 Rambler?

Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT

UGLY OLDS

Hmmmmm.... :roll:   I got it :idea:  Fix the Rambler to tow the "Taurust"  :!:  A few more "Michigan winters" & it will be right at 1500 lbs :!:  :lol:  :lol:
Boy...Now we're in business :!:  

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****