No buck Mustang strut rod

Started by enjenjo, February 19, 2009, 07:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

With Mustang IIs getting as old as they are, the newest are 30 years old, in this part of the country it's hard to find useable strut rods. Plus, particularly on Chevys, the stock strut rod  may cause cracks in the frame. So I came up with this idea to make something from junk.

You need two Mustang or Pinto struts, the ones you find here are rusted inside the bushing, and unusable as is.

You also need a link that goes from the center of the car to the rear wheel on late model GM full size front drivers. The get bent in accidents, and body shops usually have some in their junk pile. All you need are the ends and bushings.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

Remove the bushing from the end of the link, and cut the ends off at the weld.

enjenjo

Jig it up so the bushing is 90 degrees to the strut rod attaching bolts, and weld the end on the strut rod.

enjenjo

enjenjo

before and after. Now you just need to fab a mount on the frame to hold it.

Charlie Chops 1940

My favorite king of strut rod. Does it have enough length to line up with the a-arm pivot? Looks close.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Yes, it lines up perfect. I have several sets of these on the road, they hold up fine.

ONE37TUDOR

I will have to try that set up on a truck I am in the process of building.

Back when I was racing stock cars and when NASCAR was still using the 65 Galaxie type front snout you could buy a set up from Speedway for the Galaxie type strut rods that used a MOPAR type small ball joint for the forward locating point and a tie rod type adjusting sleeve and you not only removed all the movement under hard breaking but you could also change the caster with the strut rod.
Haven't thought about those in years?

Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT

jaybee

Dang, that's slick!  Potential for the tech archive?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)