Question for the group.....

Started by UGLY OLDS, February 08, 2009, 07:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Has anyone ever used "Air Lift" air bags?  The kind that go inside the coil spring for "load control" . Any problems??  I may look into a set for the Ugly Olds to allow carrying rear seat passengers....  It has very little frame to axle clearance & very smooth riding but "bouncy" stock springs .... :?

Thanks in advance ...... 8)

OOPS....Almost forgot ......Don't forget that next saturday is "Flowers & Candy day"..... :idea:

Bob...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

phat46

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Has anyone ever used "Air Lift" air bags?  The kind that go inside the coil spring for "load control" . Any problems??  I may look into a set for the Ugly Olds to allow carrying rear seat passengers....  It has very little frame to axle clearance & very smooth riding but "bouncy" stock springs .... :?

Thanks in advance ...... 8)

Nope, but i did add a pair of Delco air shocks to my '46 chevy years ago and they made a big improvement.

Fat Cat

I install them all the time in the front of motorhomes. They are useful and if installed without piching the back they generally last many years. I have replaced some that look like they have been in there since the coach was new(About 10 years). If you make sure they are not bound or bunched up and that there are no sharp edges then I would think that you could get just as many if not more years out fo them. The key to making them last is to make sure that they always have air in them when the vehicle is in use. Try to get all the leaks fixed before driving it and if you find that it leals a little while setting make sure that you add air to them before leaving on a trip. The firestone bags we use have a 10psi minimum for each bag.

Ed ke6bnl

I used them in my elcamino 1972.  I have filled them for heavy loads and the truck was much better driver. the last owner had depended on the air shocks and the mount for the shocks from contiues hauling dirt bikes had broken the mounts not so good for supporting the whole vehicle load. the aire bags in the springs worked great ED
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

UGLY OLDS

Frank..I have looked at specs & photos of the bags & have a question.  They all appear to have the air "filler valve" for lack of a better term ,located at the end of the bag pointing straight out. Do they make a spacer or filler tube to change this valve to a 90 degree bend at the end of the bag?  Are the filler "valves" flexable like a truck inner tube valve that can be bent to another angle? I have steel plates both at the top & bottom of where the bag will sit inside the spring & cannot see a way to have the valve protrube out the end of the bag.. Their website is pretty informative until you get to the "specifics" ...Thank Guys for the info..... 8)

Bob............... :wink:

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Frank..I have looked at specs & photos of the bags & have a question.  They all appear to have the air "filler valve" for lack of a better term ,located at the end of the bag pointing straight out. Do they make a spacer or filler tube to change this valve to a 90 degree bend at the end of the bag?  Are the filler "valves" flexable like a truck inner tube valve that can be bent to another angle? I have steel plates both at the top & bottom of where the bag will sit inside the spring & cannot see a way to have the valve protrube out the end of the bag.. Their website is pretty informative until you get to the "specifics" ...Thank Guys for the info..... 8)

Bob............... :wink:

The ones we use have the valve stem molded into the end of the bag. The stem comes out the hole where the shocl would be mounted on the bottom. It then gets a hose with a right angle end on it that allows it to be mounted in an accessable location for checking the air in the bag. There is no way to bend the stem off to the side or out of the way. As a matter of fact if you tried to do that you would end up damaging the bag.

UGLY OLDS

Thanks Frank.....Thats the info I needed......Time for some fabrication work... :idea:  8)