Power windows

Started by timkins, February 06, 2009, 02:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timkins

I relocated the switches for my power windows from the doors to the dash. After the relocation the windows slowed down considerably. I replaced the stock Chevy 5 wire switch's with aftermarket 5 wire switch's. I just recently purchased a 30 amp 2 breaker circuit panel and Power window wiring. I am going to hook the circuit breaker to the solenoid on the starter and run the hot wires from the circuit breaker to the switches. Does this sound like a proper way to install? There are currently no relays in the power window circuit. Will I need them? I am not very good at wiring so if anybody has any suggestions a wiring diagram would help tremendously.

Learpilot

Quote from: "timkins"I relocated the switches for my power windows from the doors to the dash. After the relocation the windows slowed down considerably. I replaced the stock Chevy 5 wire switch's with aftermarket 5 wire switch's. I just recently purchased a 30 amp 2 breaker circuit panel and Power window wiring. I am going to hook the circuit breaker to the solenoid on the starter and run the hot wires from the circuit breaker to the switches. Does this sound like a proper way to install? There are currently no relays in the power window circuit. Will I need them? I am not very good at wiring so if anybody has any suggestions a wiring diagram would help tremendously.
If you want your power windows to be hot  all the time that sounds good. I think I would add a switch to turn it off for long periods of not driving. You can use a relay so you can use a mini switch.
Rick

wayne petty

putting in relays to run the power windows will require one of these for each window motor...  

and a pair of normal 30 amp 12 volt din relays

these dual relay sockets are used in many car alarm systems for items like window motors, door locks, anything with a motor that has to be reversed..

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SRLY-4/DUAL-SOCKET-FOR-AUTO-RELAY/-/1.html

you might also think about checking the power and ground circuits for tight connections...  that will slow the windows down a ton... and the switches for clean contacts...

timkins

So now I have some opinions on how to hook the switches up BUT what does each wire of the 5 wire switch do and where does it go?  I realize the center wire is the HOT and the 2 outside wires receive continuity when the switch is depressed toward them but what is the function of the 2 wires closest to the hot wire?

47convert

How about wire size? When you relocated the switches did you go to a smaller wire? There must be some resisitance in there somewhere if they worked OK before and now they're slow. It could be in the new switches too, but I'd check wire size first.

enjenjo

Who's swtches do you have? In any case, to reverse the direction, you have to switch both the gground and the hot wire at the same time. So there will be two wires from the switch connected to each wire from the window motor. not al switches are wired the same. Some switches do this internally, others you have to do outside the switch.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

timkins

I have drawn a diagram of the back of the switch with a narrative as to what happens when the switch is in each position. I hope you can understand my gibberish. I have no idea who manufactured the switch.

enjenjo

power to the center terminal. motor wires to one and five. two and 4 to ground. that will work on non self grounding motors.

Who did you buy the harness from? they should be able to tell you how to wire it. Last year I rewired the windows on my Marlin, I bought the switches and harness from Hatwire, and he was able to tell me how to wire it with the Lincoln motors I am using.

timkins

Thats the problem. The switches wer in my parts bin under the work bench. I bought the Circuit breaker panel and wires from Ron Francis. Not their fault, just a dumb a** attack on my part. Thanks for the reply.

The Paisano

A relay needs two sources of volatage to activate.its also elevates voltage to the device you going to run.IF hooking the power off the starter solenoid,does this mean that the windows are going to be at a constsant
12 volts? I think that a bad idea.Can you install the original switch to you dash ?
Paisano
Paisano

enjenjo

Quote from: "The Paisano"A relay needs two sources of volatage to activate.its also elevates voltage to the device you going to run.IF hooking the power off the starter solenoid,does this mean that the windows are going to be at a constsant
12 volts? I think that a bad idea.Can you install the original switch to you dash ?
Paisano

You can supply battery power to the relay, and ign. switched power to the switches.

timkins

Just a final note on the power windows.  I ran a hot lead from the battery cut off switch to a 30 amp circuit breaker with 2 leads from the circuit breaker to then new switches that I purchased from Haywire (at enjenjo's quiet suggestion). I then rewired the entire power window circuit and it works great. Thanks to all for their idea's and to enjenjo for his quiet suggestion.