McPherson strut change

Started by jaybee, January 18, 2009, 03:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

I'm about to ad strut changing to my list of "done its", and was just looking through the manual for my wife's 95 Windstar.  Since it broke a spring I bought the preassembled strut because it was cheaper than separate strut cartridges and springs.  Didn't think it would be that hard, but right at the beginning of the directions I read "Do not begin this procedure unless a new front axle wheel hub nut, a new lower arm ball joint pinch bolt and nut, and a new tie rod and nuckle nut and  cotter pin are available.  Once removed, these parts must not be reused during assembly.  Their torque hlding ability or retention capability is diminished during removal."

Comments?  Are these parts really destroyed by reassembly?  Any way to get the strut out without disassembling the entire hub and lower control arm assembly?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Fat Cat

While I have never done a Windstar I have changed a few struts in my time. Many of them on other Ford front drivers. I think it could probably be done unless the strut cartridge has to be pressed out of the hub assembly. I usually detach them at the top and use a long bar to pry down the lower suspension assembly so that the top can be tipped out of the pocket and the wheelwell. Then I use a tapered chisel to spread open the pocket that the strut mount in on the hub and pull out the strut. I have done quite a few this way and can only think of once or twice that I had to remove the whole hub.

enjenjo

A lot of the newer Fords have one time use axle nuts. The act of removing them, destroys them, Also the tie rod end, ect. have a lock nut instead of castle nuts, and the OE torque spec is a torque to yield,  so I can see where replacing them would be a good idea. they are not that expensive, and the local parts store keeps them in stock.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Thanks, guys.  I also talked to someone I know who is an ex-Ford dealership mechanic.  He changed his phone number and I hadn't seen much of him for a while but his wife showed up at my house yesterday to see my wife.  He said it had been a while since doing struts on a Windstar but he didn't remember having to take the front end apart to such a large degree.  I'll start taking the thing apart and just see how far I have to go in order to pry the control arm down enough to get the strut cartridge out & back in.  Anything that needs to come off to get more "droop" will come off, anything that doesn't stays.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

zzford

I thought "McPhearson Strut" was a Scottish folk dance! You know, Camon, lads an' lassies, let's all do the McPhearson Strut! :D

wayne petty

ok... i just took a look at this...

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm

put in the 1995 ford windstar 3.8... clicked the repair info link a few times so i got past the ad page for alldata.. also  owned by autozone..

the repair info for the windstar shows that you have to do it... and it has pictures too..

i just called a ford tech i know..   he said to take the fronts to a shop to do.. doing them on the ground is a pain..    seems the bottom of the strut extends through the pinch area on the hub several inches.. so you cannot just pull it out the top without taking the hub and axle out...

he also warned me... that the front springs on those.. like the V6 taurus are really strong.. and really really need a proper compressor.. not the 2 clamp tight...  ones that grab the spring and hold it tight in a large tool...  wall mounted or on a stand...  

he did say the rear shocks are easy on that model...

he said he did one on the ground.  on a side job.. took all day... one a rack a few hours... never again on the side.... he only worked there for 10 years...  so i have to trust his judgement on that.. but i like a challenge..

i my self without better judgement.. would think that you could unhook the sway bar link... the pinch bolt.. the inside upper mount to body nuts..(not the big one in the middle) leaving only the outer one loose enough to hold it up and let it swivel around.. then pry down on the hub until the bottom of the strut pops out... then take off the last nut up top ( again not the center)  the strut might come out then...

http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images//0900c152/80/0a/e3/c9//medium/0900c152800ae3c9.gif

but it is a judgement call...    you will have to make...  i would be carefull that the inner cv joint does not pop out of the tulip... or it could come apart inside the boot..  so jack stands to keep the spindle from tipping out.. and another to stop the lower control arm from falling... might be good to have handy before starting..