World record

Started by phat46, January 25, 2009, 08:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

Yesterday a fellow set a drag race world record here in Port Huron, within the city limits. We have a ice track set up this winter for snowmobile drag races. It was reported that a guy ran 4.52 @ 149 m.p.h. in the eighth mile to set  a world record!!! I don't know if this is an overall record or a class record, but that is alwfully fast! I was standing at the finish line watching yesterday and it was amazing to see these guys running over 125 time after time.  People say there's nothing to do in the winter...we have the drag races, a dog sled exhibition, a chilly fest, and ice carving all going on this weekend.  Thousands of people out for the fun. yeah it's in the single digits this morning, but we know how to dress for it. More racing this afternoon, I'll be there!

Crosley.In.AZ

I've never ridden a snowmobile...  at a speed near a buck fifty that is dang fast!

I am guessing the machine is slightly modified.
:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

zzford

There are not a lot of ice tracks around this neck of the woods.

tomslik

you've never seen 'em run at the track?
usually run in the 9's up here at bandimere :shock:  :D
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

phat46

Quote from: "tomslik"you've never seen 'em run at the track?
usually run in the 9's up here at bandimere :shock:  :D

This race wasn't at a regular track.  The organisers got permission to make an ice track in the middle of the city on a stretch of property owned my a local philanthropist. The track is about fifty feet from a public road (closed for the event) and runs in front of the local gas companys headquarters and the brand new YMCA building.  Just amazing to see guys going that speed in that setting. We are very fortunate that the powers that be would allow this!