Chevy 4.3 engine oil filter attachment

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 18, 2009, 10:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

My 4.3 was in a 4x4 application.  Ht engine oil filter was relocated via an adapter with tubes and hoses.

I removed that stuff.

It looks like I need a  simple thread nipple to install into the block for the oil filter to thread directly to the block?  

The pressure bypass is there in the block. I doubt there is a  bolt on adapter like the early small block chevy uses.

:?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

by the looks of the first picture in this article on rebuilding the 262/4.3  it has a threaded in double ended hollow tube...

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/2427/rebuilding_the_new_chevy_262.aspx

edit.. i did find this on another page that i downloaded..a long time ago from the same author as the link above...

"Many of the 262s have a remote oil filter and an oil cooler, so they need an oil filter bypass valve that opens at a higher pressure to prevent unfiltered oil from circulating during startup. A revised valve that opens at 21 lbs. instead of 11 lbs. is available under p/n 25014612. There are reports that GM is installing this revised valve in all of its reman engines. "

tomslik

i'll tke a look tonight and see if the one i have left has anything on it.
most of the stuff i see at work has 4WD...even the astros...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

GPster

There was a 4.3L V6 from '85 to '87 that was still for the V8 bellhousing. There might be some difference so be carefull what pictures you look at. I'd guess the early ones were just bigger 90 degree V6s that started in '78 (?) GPster

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"My 4.3 was in a 4x4 application.  Ht engine oil filter was relocated via an adapter with tubes and hoses.

I removed that stuff.

It looks like I need a  simple thread nipple to install into the block for the oil filter to thread directly to the block?  

yep, that's all there isi just looked

The pressure bypass is there in the block. I doubt there is a  bolt on adapter like the early small block chevy uses.

:?

Crosley.In.AZ

tonight I am fooling around in the shop.  Looking  at the 4.3 engine and I see my old 170cid Ford motor sitting there.

I pull the filter off the Ford.. remove the threaded nipple.  The nipple  fits the 4.3 engine!  It may a bit short though.

I tried a 1/2 inch pipe thread nipple, too large of  diameter.

Tony

wayne petty

tony.. i am almost sure that the nipple is metric... on both ends...

this being a holiday the dealers i called were closed...

that is a part that most dealers will have in stock....

still have the oil cooler adaptor???? does it have the proper threaded tube screwed into it..????/

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "wayne petty"tony.. i am almost sure that the nipple is metric... on both ends...

still have the oil cooler adaptor???? does it have the proper threaded tube screwed into it..????/

wayne.

the oil filter adapter remote mount had a short nipple on it. certainly not long enough for this direct block mount.

I found a part number;  GM# 14081300   .. should be a 4.3 nipple oil filter mount.  Some GM online sites indicate a special order part, no photo.
Tony

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "wayne petty"tony.. i am almost sure that the nipple is metric... on both ends...

wayne.

the oil filter adapter remote mount had a short nipple on it. certainly not long enough for this direct block mount.

I found a part number;  GM# 14081300   .. should be a 4.3 nipple oil filter mount.  Some GM online sites indicate a special order part, no photo.

yeah, they're about 3" long...
i DON'T know the thread size.
there's always the junkyards....
look under 2wd stuff w/o an oil cooler or remote filter.
mine happens to be from a 90 chevy 2wd pu if that helps..
i wonder if a later model v-8 (96-99 vortec) has the same oil filter pad?
have to be 2wd though....

hmmm, chk yer mail.

sirstude

Remember, they are not pipe thread.  If they were, you would not be able to get the filter to tighten the gasket since pipe thread is interferance fit.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

wayne petty

borrowed this image off a google search...

Crosley.In.AZ

I have the fitting in my shop... 7 dollars from the dealer...

why it has a symbol of a motorcycle on the label ,  I dont know.  
:lol:
Tony

Jokester

Quote from: Crosley why it has a symbol of a motorcycle on the label ,  I dont know.   :lol:

The motorcycle is a batch indicator.  All items that went to that dealer on that order had the motorcycle on it.  They have hundred of pictures that they use: boats, tools, toasters, pianos, glasses, animals, you name it.

my 2 cents.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

wayne petty

a batch indicator..     give the guy who thought that up his own corner office...

what a great idea...