Finally! progress

Started by phat rat, December 12, 2008, 12:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

Well after taking about 7 months off from this project I got back on it. Been working on the frame and put the motor mounts in also. Everything is only welded on the top side so lots of welding yet to finish. Before anyone hassels me on the blocks holding things up they are only holding the frame. The motor is on a cart and wood blocks under the trans. Plus I don't get under it. This is at the height I want it to be when done. I know the motor seems a little low but I didn't want the aircleaner sticking above the cowl. An added plus is that it doesn't intruded a lot into the floor and firewall.  I still have to get the front spring so I can figure how much of a Z I'll put in the front. So far it's staying a low budget. I've got a big share of what I need, gauges, rear brakes, Vega box, Lokar and am into it for just under $1550 so far. Of course a set of Magnum appearing front dics complete with brkts, rotors, calipers, pads and  bearings for $60 at a swap help. I junked a Suburban last winter and after taking it in for scrap I have a good running 454/T400 for $199. The body was the greatest deal. I had to pay a whole $25 for it on my parts trip to Montana last year
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

phat46

Nice work!  It looks great so far. Should be a handfull with that drivetrain!!!!  :lol:

kb426

I'm excited for you. My next will be something similar.
TEAM SMART

msuguydon

When you are finished building, would you take a gently used 1958 Sedan in trade?
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

phat rat

Phat46, except for a Perfomer intake and 750 Holley the motor will be as it came out of the Suburban. Although the guy said the motor was supposed to have an RV cam in it. I felt it ran fairly strong when I drove the burb 50+ mi. home

Don, thanks for the offer but I'll pass. Besides by the time I finish that 58 may not be so gently used as I'm not in a hurry to get it done.

Fuzzy

Lookin' good,Jack.The crossmembers sure look strong enough for all that motor.

Fuzz
No billet for this kid!

phat rat

Quote from: "Fuzzy"Lookin' good,Jack.The crossmembers sure look strong enough for all that motor.

Fuzz

The new inner rails and the ties to the outer rails are 1/8" bent into channel. The trans mount is a piece of 2x3x1/8, the top of the driveshaft hoop is 1x1x1/8 both of which I had in stock. I don't think it will fold up on me.  :wink:

enjenjo

Did you start with an A frame?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Quote from: "enjenjo"Did you start with an A frame?

Yes but not the one you delivered to me at Kazoo in Feb. I cut it where the cowl will be and spread it apart a bit so that it fit the contour of the T body better.

purplepickup

George

39deluxe

Very nice looking so far. I'd say you got a very good buy on the body.

Tom

phat rat

Well I've been contemplating how I was going to make the rear bottom of the body look decent. When a touring is cut down it leaves a funky shaped piece they call a toe board. Thurs I cut it off and made a new piece to replace it. Charlie calls the work blacksmithing but hey I made it myself, no sheet metal shop involved. Still need to grind the welds down but I like the way it looks now better than before.

Charlie Chops 1940

Ya get an attaboy for that Jack.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

phat rat

Thanks Charlie.  I forgot about the harder bend. It's up under the back panel and is a 115 degree bend. It laps over a piece for the seat bottom

39deluxe