Speedometer cable

Started by sedanman, December 28, 2008, 08:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sedanman

Hello Folks

I need to purchase a speedo cable for my car. It has a Chevy 5 speed B/W trans. I'm using a 49 ford speedometer. Research has lead me to think I can use a 55 ford truck cable, or a 67 ford cable for automatic. I need for both ends to screw on. The speedo looks like it might be a 5/8". The trans apears to fit and old chevy cable I had laying around the garage. I think it might be 7/8".

Suggestions Please  :)

Vic

enjenjo

Your description of the ends you need sound right. If you want junk yard parts, the lower cable on a 70s cruise equipted GM van will work. Or you can go to a NAPA store, find the listing for the cable ends you need, and order the length you ned from those available.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

www.speedometersolutions.com I have this site on my favorites because one day I will need to do something similar. Powerglide to mid 60's dodge speedo in my case.

sedanman

Thanks guys for the reply. I also found that Chrysler used the same speedo cable from 1955 to 1983. It looks just like the 55 ford truck cable and the cross reference says they are the same. That may work for your powerglide to mopar speedo.

Vic :)

chimp koose

Thanks Vic , I used the old dodge speedo because it had the right 180degree sweep for the gage panel I am making.Also speedometers in Canada have been reading in Kilometers since about the '75 model year.

sedanman

Well I picked up the 55 ford truck speedo cable today at the parts store. It worked out perfect. But the label on the package said for GM cars and trucks. Cool huh.

Vic  :D