1981 Thunderbird IFS under a 1940 Ford

Started by Gerron, December 04, 2008, 06:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okiedokie

38HAULR

Series 1,11,111  Jaguar front ends are a great choice for IFS. They also have a power rack . Decent brakes,[S2 &3 use vented rotors,4 spot calipers]  Chev bolt pattern.......Frank.

Topsterguy

I just put a Chassis Eng front X-member in my 40 pickup, used all the stock Mustang IFS pieces with the V8 springs, 2" dropped spindals, and the power rack out of a '82 T-Bird, and it all seems fine.......so far!  Cost wise it was pretty reasonable.  That said, there's nothing wrong with a dropped I beam axle, monoleaf spring and split bones either!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Gerron

Hi 38hauler - Thanks for your input Frank, but I think I'll skip the Jag stuff.
Hi topsterguy - Other rodders have said as you have. Keep the solid axle. Unfortunately, my car is in progress and I have never driven a solid axle car. This is why I am back and forth as to what to do. Maybe I'll run the solid axle after the car is registered and see if I like it.
In case though, I assume you used a five lug spindle. From What?
Thanks every one for all your help. I've never got so many answers in such a short time. This is a great forum.
Ron

38HAULR

Hi Ron,  These particular Jags run the Chev 5 lug bolt pattern. I have fitted one up under a 38 Chev chassis,as well as the Jag rear suspension unit,the chassis rails on these Chevs,and indeed 40,s Fords are Jaguar "friendly" for install.......Frank.

Okiedokie

Hey Frank, do you have any pictures to share of any of those installs. Seems like Frank Oddo had a story on such several years ago in Street Rodder magazine. Can't remember much about it, of course I don't remember lot's of stuff anymore. Joe

38HAULR

Hi Joe. I do not have photos of mine yet, but if you try this link,you will see  some Chev,  and a 46 Ford to give an idea .  "www.ozrodders.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=22290." ..... Frank.

Topsterguy

Hi Ron!   I used the Mustang ll dropped spindals from Speedway and I also got the 5 stud rotors from them.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Gerron

Thanks Frank for your recommendation. If I do decide to go with an IFS, I'll keep the Jag suspension in mind. I'll be on the lookout for a good donor.
Thanks again,
Ron