40 ford grille

Started by papastoyss, December 03, 2008, 05:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papastoyss

My 40 Ford deluxe original grille is nice enough to rechrome except that one side is cracked in 2 places. It appears to be cast in potmetal. I have another junker & I tried to braze on it w/ no luck.Is there any other way to repair the cracks, possibly silver solder? I have already returned 2 Vin**** grilles because of poor quality. Drakes grilles are on backorder at this time & twice the $ . I may have to suck it up & pay his $ if I can't fix mine but thats a last resort.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

57larry

Drake's are the only grill to buy. I know he's expensive, but in the long run, it's worth it. I have bought several from him

enjenjo

In my experience, If you can find some one who can weld pot metal, take very good care of him. It seems to be one of the most difficult things to repair.

I would suggest calling Custom Chrome Plating in Grafton Ohio, and see if they can fix it and rechrome it. They are not cheap, but their work is second to none.  http://www.customchromeplating.com/  They have done work for me in the past, and I was 100 percent happy.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Another vender/chrome shop is Advance Plating. They do repair of pot metal. They are good, not cheap, but they do an excellent job and they stand behind it.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

papastoyss

Quote from: "phat rat"Another vender/chrome shop is Advance Plating. They do repair of pot metal. They are good, not cheap, but they do an excellent job and they stand behind it.
I'll take it & let them look at next time I go to Nashville.THANKS
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!