Differential gear noise from new gears ?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, July 01, 2004, 11:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I recently installed a set of 4.11 gears into the 8 inch Ford diff in my 62 Falcon.

I checked the pattern during setup about 10 times with different shims on the nose of the pinion gear setup.  The back lash was set at .008 per the instructions with the Richmond gears. The readings were between .006 & .008 for back lash

The gears are quiet at acceleration & deceleration.  When I am at cruise and let up on the gas pedal to what I call loafing along NOT really under power , NOT decelerating.... the gears will make a slight noise.

THe noise does seem quieter today than yesterday.

Now... let me tell how the car reacts to the new gear set.  Old gear ratio was a popular 2.79, now it is a 4.11 since I plan on drag strip use of this 6 cylinder car.

I took the car out on to Greenfield Rd near my house. Plenty of room to run the car hard, no traffic .  Only 170 cid of tired 6 cylinder.  Remember though , I have headers and a larger carb on this beast

I  do not have any race electronics on the car & no trans brake. I can not set the transbrake , bring the engine up on the chip , then let the button go and be racin....  I will have to foot brake this beast.

I stop the car , then bring the engine up against the converter with the brakes on.  I let the brakes go and the tires start squeeling.  I must have put down 7 mayb 8 feet of rubber from the Comp T/A tire till she grabbed ahold of the asphalt.

I do have a tach with a shift light.  The shift light comes on and I clik off second gear ( more tire squeel, I must thank that tranny guy).

I have made the decision to spin the motor tighter in second gear. The shift light comes on , but like a mad man I let the motor climb to more RPM since it is still pulling hard.  

At 4600 RPM and the motor is still not laying over as I shift the car to third gear. The motor pulls hard to 4200 RPM when I decide to lift and slow this muther down.

I had a good time.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Bruce Dorsi

Sounds like fun, Tony!

Out of curiosity, what is a realistic redline for this engine?

With my SBC's, I'm used to seeing 6500-6800 rpm routinely.  .....My stock '98 Vortec 350 at WOT shifts at 5000rpm.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

tomslik

noisy richmond gears....imagine that!
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

tomslik...... thanks for the insight

8)

Quote from: "tomslik"noisy richmond gears....imagine that!
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Bruce.... dont know the limit of the engine.  It has only 4 mains on the crank and the log style intake on the  head really limits the motor.

the BIG motor I am building (200+ cid )  has 7 mains on the crank.  I bought a Aussie Ford cylinder head that has a removalable intake and larger ports.

With gearing and tire size on the car,   I plan on 6000 to 6200 rpm through the traps of the 1/4 mile. It should be just over 100 mph

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"Sounds like fun, Tony!

With my SBC's, I'm used to seeing 6500-6800 rpm routinely.  .....My stock '98 Vortec 350 at WOT shifts at 5000rpm.
Tony

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"Bruce.... dont know the limit of the engine.  It has only 4 mains on the crank and the log style intake on the  head really limits the motor.

the BIG motor I am building (200+ cid )  has 7 mains on the crank.  I bought a Aussie Ford cylinder head that has a removalable intake and larger ports.

With gearing and tire size on the car,   I plan on 6000 to 6200 rpm through the traps of the 1/4 mile. It should be just over 100 mph

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"Sounds like fun, Tony!

how about building a girdle for the mains?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list