Antifreeze time - dammit

Started by IC2, November 18, 2008, 11:14:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IC2

Here in the frozen tundra of Upstate New York it has 'suddenly' become antifreeze time. Since my car is still under some semblance of almost being finished with a running motor and needing to be trailered(  :shock: ) to the upholsterers in the next couple of weeks, needs to have some antifreeze installed. The car has a Walker '32 style but midline B-Z-Ac491-2 radiator and a SB Ford motor. The question is, what is the capacity? I dumped the water, but of course only some of it ended up in the pan so really can't use that method as a yardstick.

I'm sure that most have a SB Chebbie, but there really can't be that much difference in motor capacity. How much antifreeze did you use?? I was going to install 6 quarts of PEAK ........ but ??? Do I need the full 2 gallons - no big deal as I do have it, but there are diminishing returns on mix concentrations.

Dave W

zzford

Quote from: "IC2"Here in the frozen tundra of Upstate New York it has 'suddenly' become antifreeze time. Since my car is still under some semblance of almost being finished with a running motor and needing to be trailered(  :shock: ) to the upholsterers in the next couple of weeks, needs to have some antifreeze installed. The car has a Walker '32 style but midline B-Z-Ac491-2 radiator and a SB Ford motor. The question is, what is the capacity? I dumped the water, but of course only some of it ended up in the pan so really can't use that method as a yardstick.

I'm sure that most have a SB Chebbie, but there really can't be that much difference in motor capacity. How much antifreeze did you use?? I was going to install 6 quarts of PEAK ........ but ??? Do I need the full 2 gallons - no big deal as I do have it, but there are diminishing returns on mix concentrations.

Dave W
You don't want to run straight coolant. I'd use the 50/50 blend. You might want to invest in a cheap specific gravity tester for coolant. That way you know exactly what your protection is.

phat rat

I'm with zzford. But I don't buy the 50/50 I always have an empty container on hand and transfer half of a new full one to the other container than add water. Whenever I need to add I do so with 50/50
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

IC2

Quote from: "phat rat"I'm with zzford. But I don't buy the 50/50 I always have an empty container on hand and transfer half of a new full one to the other container than add water. Whenever I need to add I do so with 50/50

Just for the heluvit, I stopped in Wally World - the 50-50 is $8.47 and the regular is $9.00 but they are out.

$8.47 is a lot of $$$$ for 50% tap water!!!! That would be 2 quarts of water for $4.24 or $2.12/quart!!!! :shock:

purplepickup

Quote from: "IC2"
$8.47 is a lot of $$$$ for 50% tap water!!!!  :shock:
I would suggest that you use distilled water.  Using hard and/or chlorinated water can cause deposits and corrosion in your cooling system.   I save water out of my dehumidifier in the summer to use in coolant and batteries.
George

IC2

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "IC2"
$8.47 is a lot of $$$$ for 50% tap water!!!!  :shock:
I would suggest that you use distilled water.  Using hard and/or chlorinated water can cause deposits and corrosion in your cooling system.   I save water out of my dehumidifier in the summer to use in coolant and batteries.

I generally do and in the spring will flush and refill with distilled water and fresh PEAK. Now - just want freeze protection since the car will not be driven nor barely warmed for the next 4-5 months, depending on the winter

wayne petty

if you don't plan on driving it at all.....   pull the drain plugs on the block and drain the block... and the radiator...   warm it up for a minute and a half... and shut it off...    spraying some wd40 in the carb inlet as it shuts off...

completely dry motors are better off than a filled motor. if unused in sub freezing weather..  if you have a heater core.. you can use a shop vacuum to pull the coolant out of that also...  DISABLE THE IGNITION   put tape over the area where you unhooked it... with the warning... NO COOLANT...

i worry about motors that are not driven.. or started and brought up to full operating temp.. or as warm as one can get in sub freezing weather...

i have heard from sources that antifreeze and water will separate after a few months sitting totally still... that would be really bad in sub freezing temps...

oh... and for those who are changing the coolant every 2 seasons... thats really too often...  the same mix that protects it from the cold will also protect it from overheating...

wayne