Another one for the Awwsies

Started by OzRod, June 13, 2004, 05:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzRod

Just wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find some information, books, ect on the holden red 6cyl. I am rebiulding the top end on a 202, turning it into a mild performance daily driver. I have some experience playing with heads, cams and valvetrains on my sbc but i would like to study the 202 more before i go out buying hardware.

Cheers,
Chris

bcal

Try this
http://www.marque.com.au/
I'm a bit of a regular at the Jannali shop  :roll:
Time flies when you\'re no longer young
Brett.

OzRod

ok thanks for the link. I couldn't see anything refering to performance holden 6's and I'm starting to wounder does such a book exist?? maybe not. I'll keep on searching anyway....

Cheers

Pep

Back in their day, I recall every "hot up" magazine had articles on how to for the Holden 6.....frustrated me cause I wasn't into them. I seem to pick odd ball engines. If you can get some magazines from the 60s.70s, there will certainly be stuff on them. Yella Terra made a lot of doe from them. I'd give them a call. They should have combination recommendations and leads.
See Ya
Pep

bcal

The only book I remember was on the xu1 Torana engines. I don't think there would have been much of a market for such books coz there was so much general knowledge on the engines out there. All one had to do was ask around.
As Pep says the yella terra head is a good start. I used to use them and they were ok. I wonder if the later 12 port heads fit? Then there's the fluffy cam and a set of extractors. For carbs I found the twin stommies were not bad or a 350 holley on a 186S manifold was good for round town.
Today I'd inject the buggers.
Surely there must be a street machine forum where could ask.
Have you tried the HRI forum?
Time flies when you\'re no longer young
Brett.

OzRod

Ok cool. I have not contacted any other board but again as pep suggested i will call Yella Terra and baybe even Crow Cams. At this stage it looks as if I will run a Yella Terra head, very mild Crow Cam, Redline 2bl manifold (already have), Extractors (already have), open air cleaner and whatever else i find cheap at swap meets! All this and a 3.08 diff should get the ol' HJ keeping up with all the other traffic... I hope :roll:

Thanks for the info guys.

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "OzRod"Ok cool. I have not contacted any other board but again as pep suggested i will call Yella Terra and baybe even Crow Cams. At this stage it looks as if I will run a Yella Terra head, very mild Crow Cam, Redline 2bl manifold (already have), Extractors (already have), open air cleaner and whatever else i find cheap at swap meets! All this and a 3.08 diff should get the ol' HJ keeping up with all the other traffic... I hope :roll:

Thanks for the info guys.

I used to muck around with them when I had the FX (sold it 30 years ago!).  I think it made around 140 RWHP.  These engines have good performance potential, and they are tough.  There must be tons of speed equipment available from swap meets etc., very cheap.  I'm not aware of any books, but try American Auto Parts in Sydney for starters.  There is a vast body of knowledge about these engines, ask around.  People like Russel Jones (Dyno) at Granville can probably point you to some good people.

Have you looked into the engine specs for the HQ circuit racing class.  These seem to perform very well, and they are a set formula, and don't use any exotic parts.

OzRod

Pope you made a good point about the HQ circut racers and I'm doing a search now. Cheers. I'm a bit of a regular at swap meets and as you said the parts can be found anyware. And yes the surprising thing is people don't realize how well these engines respond to basic beef-up such as extractors, exhaust and an open air cleaner. I beat my moderately worked 350 on LPG off the line with my almost stock holden 6!

Thanks again.