Universal hanging brake pedal

Started by reborn55, November 15, 2008, 07:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reborn55

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Universal hanging brake pedal assembly that Southern Rods and Master power brakes sells?  They look identical except for the $100.00 difference in price.  Looking to use theat setup on my ragtop.  Thanks

enjenjo

They may be the same, but knowing Southern Rods reputation, it may be a Chinese knockoff of the MPB one.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"They may be the same, but knowing Southern Rods reputation, it may be a Chinese knockoff of the MPB one.

:lol:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

phat rat

Why not save even more and get one out of a junker? You'll probably have to revamp it a bit, but you can make it fit where you want.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

reborn55

Quote from: "phat rat"Why not save even more and get one out of a junker? You'll probably have to revamp it a bit, but you can make it fit where you want.

I just like having new booster, master cylinder etc. when it come to brakes.  Ain't a whole lot of junk yards left around here.

phat rat

Quote from: "reborn55"
Quote from: "phat rat"Why not save even more and get one out of a junker? You'll probably have to revamp it a bit, but you can make it fit where you want.

I just like having new booster, master cylinder etc. when it come to brakes.  Ain't a whole lot of junk yards left around here.

I agree about the master cylinder I was referring to the bracketry and pedal. As far as boosters I personally would stay away from those small ones especially from Master Power Brake. I bought a new 8" dual diafram for my cpe and after dozens of phone calls to them plus shipping it back and them rebuilding it. I switched it out for a junkyard booster and haven't had a problem since. That was over 50,000 mi ago. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

reborn55

Thanks all--I think I am going to go with a manual master cylinder and leave it under the floor.  I think I get get an  aluminum tandem dual reservoir to work with little or no modification to the frame area.  Just need one about 6 inches long with a very flat reservoir.  Any suggestions--I have seen a couple that may work---just like to get the right fit.  Any recommendations on bore diameter.  Smaller the bore the greater the pressure.  Only have about 12 inches of vacuum at idle so I don't know what good a booster would do.  I don't have one on my 55 and it works fine.  Thanks

enjenjo

Quote from: "reborn55"Thanks all--I think I am going to go with a manual master cylinder and leave it under the floor.  I think I get get an  aluminum tandem dual reservoir to work with little or no modification to the frame area.  Just need one about 6 inches long with a very flat reservoir.  Any suggestions--I have seen a couple that may work---just like to get the right fit.  Any recommendations on bore diameter.  Smaller the bore the greater the pressure.  Only have about 12 inches of vacuum at idle so I don't know what good a booster would do.  I don't have one on my 55 and it works fine.  Thanks

What do you have for brakes? That makes a difference on bore.

reborn55

Mustang2 front discs and rear drum(rear end from Nova)--thinking along the lines of 7/8 to 1 inch.  If car stays with me for very long will add the big brake kit in the front.
Thanks

enjenjo

Quote from: "reborn55"Mustang2 front discs and rear drum(rear end from Nova)--thinking along the lines of 7/8 to 1 inch.  If car stays with me for very long will add the big brake kit in the front.
Thanks

Use a mustang manual master cylinder, 79 to 85. Aluminum, small, and the outlets point the right way for under the floor.

reborn55

thanks Frank---but I would need the ports on the other side for the brake lines. They run along the inner part of the X-frame now..and are plumbed extremely well.  Was looking more for the little round cylinders with the plastic reservoir.  I think I can get one of those in their without modifying or notching the frame and still be able to use hole in the floor for filling the cylinder.  Trying to make it work with existing hardware and line plumbing.  sometimes it makes thing a little more difficult--or at least I tend to make it that way.--Just need to get a good sawzall blade.  Thanks again

enjenjo

Quote from: "reborn55"thanks Frank---but I would need the ports on the other side for the brake lines. They run along the inner part of the X-frame now..and are plumbed extremely well.  Was looking more for the little round cylinders with the plastic reservoir.  I think I can get one of those in their without modifying or notching the frame and still be able to use hole in the floor for filling the cylinder.  Trying to make it work with existing hardware and line plumbing.  sometimes it makes thing a little more difficult--or at least I tend to make it that way.--Just need to get a good sawzall blade.  Thanks again

The use one from an S10, outlets on the side you want, similar bore to a Mustang, plastic reservoir.

reborn55

Frank you must have been reading my mind,  just what I was thinking after looking at some of the configurations.  As always THANKS--great minds here.