S-10 under 40 Ford P/U

Started by 31suv, October 22, 2008, 12:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

31suv

What radiator works in this set up, I would like to keep the same P/S gear box location. Any suggestons?
 Thanks
  Curtis
East Texas,the right side of Texas

GPster

I know what you're talking about. I'm working on the same problem with my Jeepster which is now sitting on an S 15 frame. Fortunately I might be able to use the S15 cross-fl radiator be cause the Jeepster has no inner fenders (now). Years ago I used a cross-flo radiator out of a six cylinder '60 Ford. I use an after-market ATF cooler . I set it going on it's end rather than going side-ways and moved the pressure cap fitting and to a patch over the old hole in the tank. This was with me using a small block Mopar for power which fortunately has a variety of water pump housings so I could get the pump inlet to match the radiator. You can start looking at these this way but you're going to be looking at things old enough to not have aluminum coils and plastic tanks. Now with my S15 engine  (2.5L) set to the rear my radiator will be setting some what to the rear. The steering box keeps a radiator no wider than about 15" to go between the steering box and the opposite frame rail. The anti sway bar and that tooth on the front of the crossmember will keep you from going down too far. You might think about going this way to cure the problem. If you find something let me know. GPster

enjenjo

There is a guy here in town with a 40 on an s10 frame. I'll see what he is using. May take a couple days.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48ford

The one I know of ,Jim used a manual vega box,as there was no way he was going to get the S-10 manual box to work and it is smaller than the P/S box.
I can check and see what radiator he used.
Russ

31suv

Let me know when some one finds out. I would very much appreciate it.
Thanks
CURTIS

48ford

Hi Curtis,
I just talked to my friend.
He had a radiator built,out of aluminium.
he told me again that he used a vega box as there is just no room for a power box.
Russ

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "31suv"What radiator works in this set up, I would like to keep the same P/S gear box location. Any suggestons?
 Thanks
  Curtis

67 Mustang works well and also some Dodge Dart V8s will work.  If you tilt the bottom of the radiator forward it helps to clear the steering box.  This works on the AD Chevy trucks but I do not know how it will work on a Ford.

Locally I know of someone who has used Ranger frames under 40 Ford trucks.  He even did a 4 wheel drive one that sets at stock height and you could not tell that it was 4 wheel drive.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

The one here has a vega box too. He has a Walker radiator in it.

48ford

Quote from: "enjenjo"The one here has a vega box too. He has a Walker radiator in it.
Frank, I think we are talking of the same truck.
Jim lives out be Wauseon,and it's a "rat rod" with a SBC with Tri power on top.
Russ

enjenjo

Quote from: "48ford"
Quote from: "enjenjo"The one here has a vega box too. He has a Walker radiator in it.
Frank, I think we are talking of the same truck.
Jim lives out be Wauseon,and it's a "rat rod" with a SBC with Tri power on top.
Russ

Blue? That would be the one. I called Terry Sampsel about it.

31suv

Thank's guy's , I knew that this would be the go to site. Appreciate the suggestion. I will let yall know when I come with something.
Thanks again Curtis