DMV problem

Started by larry g, October 16, 2008, 05:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry g

I just purchased a 39 chevy rod with a 350,mustangII front,automatic it was titled and registered in colorado with the vin# on it but it is not the original vin tag so nevada wants me to register it as a 2007 and smog it because the vin tag is not the original any way i can avoid making this a 2007 with smog when it is a steel body modified 39.

MrMopar64

Start by working your way up the food chain till you get to the top at DMV
I know here in Cal if you ask the same question to 10 DMV employes you will get at least 8 different answers on a good day 12 on a bad day :lol:

Good Luck..... If all else fails you could move to Colorado  :lol:  :lol:

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

C9

Go to a small town DMV.

They're usually more knowledgeable as well as being willing to work with you.
Especially if that particular DMV caters to a lot of of aliens.

Go about 1 - 1:30 PM on a Friday.
Folks have had lunch, they're looking at a weekend and are usually in a good mood.

Crowds are smaller due to everyone else is looking forward to the weekend.

Three day holidays are even better.

Or . . . move to my town.
Arzona MVDs are very helpful and the one in my town is easy to deal with.
Nice folks as well, I have yet to see them pull the 'authority' card....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Danimal

How do they know it isn't the original VIN tag? Who's to say it isn't? I'd tell them that it is the original tag but you had to do bodywork there due to rust and it was removed for repair.

Crosley.In.AZ

I would not go so far as to say that  All AZ MVD offices are very helpful... I have many stories to tell .... most recent a few years back with a Crosley pickup I bought.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

Quote from: "larry g"I just purchased a 39 chevy rod with a 350,mustangII front,automatic it was titled and registered in colorado with the vin# on it but it is not the original vin tag so nevada wants me to register it as a 2007 and smog it because the vin tag is not the original any way i can avoid making this a 2007 with smog when it is a steel body modified 39.

How do they know the vin tag isn't original? Did you tell them? If so go to another DMV and just ask to tranfer the title. Here in Mi. they would probably come to look the car over if the title is from out of state and check things like lights and turn signals. If there's a vin tag on the car at all would the officer know it's not original if you didn't tell him?

river1

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "larry g"I just purchased a 39 chevy rod with a 350,mustangII front,automatic it was titled and registered in colorado with the vin# on it but it is not the original vin tag so nevada wants me to register it as a 2007 and smog it because the vin tag is not the original any way i can avoid making this a 2007 with smog when it is a steel body modified 39.

How do they know the vin tag isn't original? Did you tell them? If so go to another DMV and just ask to tranfer the title. Here in Mi. they would probably come to look the car over if the title is from out of state and check things like lights and turn signals. If there's a vin tag on the car at all would the officer know it's not original if you didn't tell him?

dmv in az has a BIG book that lists vin location and description. now if your vin looks original maybe a little omission that it isn't the original will work.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

31suv

You might try to acqwire another title. They are out there.
East Texas,the right side of Texas

phat rat

It wouldn't be inspected here in Mi. as it already has a title. Heck they don't even inspect when you apply for lost title anymore
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

phat46

Quote from: "phat rat"

It wouldn't be inspected here in Mi. as it already has a title. Heck they don't even inspect when you apply for lost title anymore

Yeah, I'm not sure now how they do it now, I just remember my Dad buying a two year old Caddy with a Florida title and a deputy had to come and "inspect" the car. He had my dad turn on the lights and try the turn signals... :lol: